• Register Today It's free!

1995 XLT won't start when hot.

jsapp

Reaction score
City, State
Lavonia Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95XLT
My first Ford was a '35 flat head V8 . It took me a lot of places as did the numerous Fords I have had since, but my '95 Explorer Xlt has been the most reliable one I have had except now it won't start when it is hot... I mean when the whole vehicle is hot from sitting in the 99 degree weather we have been having. When the key is turned the check engine light doesn't come on. The starter turns the engine over fine but no startup. First thing in the morning when it is cool it will start and run fine and the check engine light comes on normally.

A few montha ago it went through a spell of not starting when the engine was hot but replacing the coilpack fixed that. I don't think this is related.

Any ideas? We're in a rural area and are afraid to try to drive it very far.

Welcome to the forum! Sounds almost like the computer is cooking in the heat possible. I've seen a couple different things happening like the heat sinks not working anymore. I suggest using the search tool on the forums and seeing what other people have experienced

Hey mate,

I've had this problem before (and continue to) on my 1998 SOHC.

I live in Perth, Western Australia and our summer days here typically exceed 100 deg F.

Sometimes after leaving the car in the sun after driving around, I'd come back and start her up - engine would turn over but would not fire up.

I'd have to get under the car and jiggle the connector on the Crankshaft Position Sensor. Takes me back to the days of coaxial cable networks...

Anyway, this has worked 100% of the times I've had the problem. Maybe it could be the same for you?

Not sure why it works, but it does, so I do it. It happens maybe 3 times a summer here...

Cheers,

BK

Back