How to: - 1995_2001 ford explorer sway bar links install lots of pics | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: 1995_2001 ford explorer sway bar links install lots of pics

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
@donalds … So the new bushings came with washers too?
Saturday I was under the '97 Mountaineer and noticed the front bushings on it need replaced as well. Is the pipe shape spacer suppose to float? The bushing below it was gone and I expected the "pipe" to be slid down. If I had had a few more minutes I would've removed the whole end link assy, as it wasn't doing anything and It wasn't rusty. I might take it off today when I am under it for a bit working with the mounting brackets for the front receiver hitch.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes came with washers but had to drill them out 1 size to so I used the old ones that were the same thickness

Btw test drive went great way stiffer thanks again

Anyone experiencing the poly bushings being very loud (squeky), i have now replaced both front and rear poly bushings and at first they were fine, but after half a year of driving there's a bit of noise developing, can you buy the grease goo for poly bushing somewhere, or what is it called?

Anyone experiencing the poly bushings being very loud (squeky), i have now replaced both front and rear poly bushings and at first they were fine, but after half a year of driving there's a bit of noise developing, can you buy the grease goo for poly bushing somewhere, or what is it called?
It is just a very viscous silicone grease. Energy Suspension sells some, but since this type of grease is also good for brake applications, one of the most affordable per oz. and most viscous is Raybestos on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Raybestos-DBL-2T-Brake-Lube-Brush/dp/B0015RCGRM

The ES 5 grease in a similar quantity is part # 9.11104 and at the moment it's cheaper on Amazon but the price fluctuates and it doesn't include a brush applicator built into the lid:

https://www.amazon.com/Energy-Suspension-9-11104-FORMULA-PRELUBE/dp/B000MW5SJ4

In a pinch you could use plain old silicone dielectric grease, but being much thinner, it won't stay effective as long.

For that matter, poly bushings are petroleum resistant so you could even use a viscous synthetic marine grade grease from the local auto parts store, but it too won't last as long, or there is the following Super Lube silicone grease in a cartridge but it is not as viscous as the ES or especially the Raybestos so won't last as long.

The thing the Super Lube cart. has going for it is since it is a cartridge, some people add zerk nipples to their bushing mounts and a hole in the bushing so they can use a grease gun to add more, though you could put a grease needle on the gun and see if it develops enough pressure to pump the grease through the needle and if it does, you could just put a much smaller hole in the bracket and bushing without needing a zerk nipple... it's not like the bar is sealed at either end so it doesn't matter as much if there's a zerk nipple as long as you can get the grease in, but a needle would take longer and be more fiddly to use with some of the grease coming back out the hole.

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Lube-92150-Lubricating-Translucent/dp/B0081JE2PQ

If I were to try to guess how long each of the above would last, it would be from shortest to longest:

Plain old lithium grease with moly < dielectric grease < synthetic marine grease < Super Lube < Energy Suspension 5 < Raybestos

I lubed all the sway bar components with synthetic silicone Molly brake caliper grease

A little goes a LONG way:)

The ES graphite impregnated bushings seem to be relatively quiet. Most of their urethane is that kind, that makes ES my favorite.

Back