1996 2-3 flare, no reverse | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 2-3 flare, no reverse

Jamie,
As I read through some of the documentation I came across some things to consider. Maybe there is a chance that the VB endcap bores are worn. See below:
noREV1.jpg

noREV2.jpg

Again this would aim at defective VB rebuild but can be verified by getting a line pressure reading.
Here is a location for testing the EPC and the line pressure.
linepressuretestlocations.jpg

When I tested the line pressure on mine it was a 7/16 socket - not sure about the EPC test port tho
-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a friend who has one of those scan computers from snap-on that reads transmission codes. He hooked it up once and it I remember him telling me it told him the trans temperature among other things. I wonder if it will tell the line pressure of the transmission too?

Would a red epc make a difference here on the 4r55e?

No, the scanner will not tell you what line or EPC pressure is. You have to do it with a transmission pressure gauge via the above pictured ports. I am not sure about the color of the EPC.

Mike

Don't use a red band filter in the 4R55E. It will affect the shifting pattern. We have a thread on this with a comparison. Do a search for threads from "Allbert". He's an employee of Borg Warner, and posted test data from their company.

Don't use a red band filter in the 4R55E. It will affect the shifting pattern. We have a thread on this with a comparison. Do a search for threads from "Allbert". He's an employee of Borg Warner, and posted test data from their company.

Just incase you dint know......You Rock BB!

Found the Allbert posts....

Donny has me another green epc on the way....
here is Allberts links about the epc's. Whatever happened to the test? I see nothing else about it. Did Borg Warner ever put it in production?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=198637

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175065

I drove the Ex around the day and it is shifting better, but still not correct and the reverse does eventually work, but may take several times. I am thinking the Green epc will cure it if not, I have an Intermediate Servo malfunctioning.

I agree, thanks for all the insight BB!

Borg Warner had 2 test EPC solenoids (no band on their prototype). 25 members on this site earned $100 for their effort in testing them, and got to keep their test EPC. The first one was pretty good with no issues. Their second one had slightly more flow due to a larger internal orifice & adjustment to the set screw. The shifts were firmer on the second one as a result. I don't know what this EPC is equivalent to as far as a red band or a green band, but it seems like it works on both transmissions. It's possible that Borg Warner might have put one of these EPC solenoids into production or some variation of an improved version, but there was no update on this from them.

I have looked online and can't seem to find any made by Borg Warner. Any clues otherwise?

I bought an EPC Solenoid from Makco Distributing, Inc. It turned out to be a Borg Warner EPC Solenoid.
A56431A Solenoid,4R44E / 4R55E / 5R55E, EPC 1 $76.10
That was in May of this year, I would ask but it seems that is the one they sell as I questioned it not having a color screen, they replied that it was the correct solenoid but from Borg Warner. Hope this helps. Just checked it is still listed as a Borg Warner solenoid.
http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=2&Category_Code=4R44Esolenoid

green epc/ od switch?

Ok, just got another green epc from Donny. It did no better, actually worse than the old one. 2-3 flare was horrible. I am going to take the epc out and turn the torx head on it slightly, maybe 1/3 turn again and see how that works. I am starting to lose reverse again. I spoke to someone local who said there is a switch, or something over the rear axle that made his do the same thing. He replaced it and fixed his problem. Does anyone know what that may be? He said he got it for ±$20.

No, they work fine. I did see what he was talking about, it is directly on top the differential housing. I think I'd be chasing a rabbit there. I am beginning to wonder if one of the prongs on my reverse band is broken. It may be enough of a band to work sometimes, but maybe not all the time. That or the reverse servo bore is worn and it sticks and won't all the servo to connect all the time. I am going to change out the epc tomorrow. I had better results with mine than the one I received today.

While you have the pan down check the seals on the reverse servo.

Already replaced those.

Another thought

Was wondering if I am really benefiting from using Mercon V or could I just use Mercon III? I could save a bunch on fluid if so and this tranny was originally filled with III......

I took it apart today and put my old epc back in. It is a little better than the one Donny sent me last week. I still have no reverse anymore. I dropped the reverse servo again and check it to see if anything looked odd, and it appears fine. I believe I have a pressure problem either in the intermediate or od servo. I am not going to mess with it until I can pull the tranny and open it up or find another tranny to r & R.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey folks just finsihed reading the entire thread. Great work thus far however we are all still waiting to see if you have found the smoking gun?? My 98 4X4 lost reverse today and I heard a band/pop/click when it stoped working. I have 189K on the Ex. Taking it to the trans shop tomorrow for advise. After reading this thread I'm much more educated on the subject and ready to have a some what intelligent discussion.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks
Bob

Back