1996 2wd front hubs or just wheel bearings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 2wd front hubs or just wheel bearings?

fropiler

Reaction score
City, State
Cottage Grove, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer 2wd 5.0
Hello,

I suspect I will be working on the front end again soon. My question, If the front wheel bearings are bad, will I be replacing the entire hub assembly or just bearings? It's a two wheel drive that I've recently replaced upper and lower ball joints, both sides. New tires 4 months ago, new shocks.

Most of the related posts are 4wd, but I may have missed something that has already been posted for 2wd. Any pointers in the the right direction appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello,

I suspect I will be working on the front end again soon. My question, If the front wheel bearings are bad, will I be replacing the entire hub assembly or just bearings? It's a two wheel drive that I've recently replaced upper and lower ball joints, both sides. New tires 4 months ago, new shocks.

Most of the related posts are 4wd, but I may have missed something that has already been posted for 2wd. Any pointers in the the right direction appreciated.

Thanks,
Ed
Just found this: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...to-2wd-front-wheel-bearing-replacment.373194/

For 2WD As long as your front rotors are okay (and as long as your spindle isn't chewed up) you just need to replace the inner & outer front wheel bearings, races and seals. Do not replace the bearings w/out installing new races (the bearings usually come with new races). This is a fairly inexpensive repair.

That guide is spot on. Just replace my rotors and bearings 2 weeks ago. Didn't have this. Used a video on youtube but thats just as good.

Edit: ****... I didn't install the races.....

No noise or problems... but... now I gotta break everything back down in a few weeks... that's no fun. lucky new seals and bearings are like 25 bucks total... Just feel stupid now. Oh well. Im learning.

That guide is spot on. Just replace my rotors and bearings 2 weeks ago. Didn't have this. Used a video on youtube but thats just as good.

Edit: ****... I didn't install the races.....

No noise or problems... but... now I gotta break everything back down in a few weeks... that's no fun. lucky new seals and bearings are like 25 bucks total... Just feel stupid now. Oh well. Im learning.

If you don't replace the races, your new bearings will not last very long. There's a good reason why new bearings come with new races. It's equally important that you torque the axle nuts properly.

If you don't replace the races, your new bearings will not last very long. There's a good reason why new bearings come with new races. It's equally important that you torque the axle nuts properly.

Thank you Koda. Just glad I know now.. I feel so dumb. Oh well.

Thank you Koda. Just glad I know now.. I feel so dumb. Oh well.

@SupaSwope At some point in time, starting out, there were many, many things which each and every one of us car freaks did not know, that's guaranteed. Learning should not include belittling oneself. imp

Yep!!! Most of use learn the best lessons by screwing up!! You're not dumb unless you do it again.

Hello,

Thanks,
Ed
I'm Raymond Champagne I am disabled with multiple sclerosis but was ASEcert technician I believe it would be easier depending on your skill level the hub assembly is usually easier than packing and pressing bearings do NOT go cheap at AutoZone or advanced I suggest O'Reilly's or Napa but getting a good part is always worth it

Back