1996 4R55E seized and wont move forwards or backwards, even when in N. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

1996 4R55E seized and wont move forwards or backwards, even when in N.

Chronic2001

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT 2WD
Gonna lay it all out there in hopes someone could point me to what i should check to make sure the 4R55E is the problem child or if another part of the drive train could be causing this issue.
Bought from a fam member and within the first 40 miles, the slip yoke snapped the U joint. No big deal really, grabbed the proper slip yoke and new u Joint, installed that, put fluid in transfer case that had spilled out during the work, and off she went. Was hard to get into gear, but that is how the truck came.
Not even 200 miles later, i notice going up a hill near my house that the truck was having a very hard time on this slight hill. Got near home and didn't have the same issue driving up the hill into the sub division, but when i started to drive up the steep driveway, i get 5 ft up the driveway and the truck stops. Cant move forward or backwards. Had to get a tow truck and get the back tires lifted and truck moved to top of driveway.

I can still put the truck into gear, but whenever i give it gas, nothing happens except rpms go up, then when i stop giving it gas, rpms fall much faster than normal.

So plan is to grab a junkyard trans and throw it on there, but wanted to see if that is the only thing i need to check.

1996 XLT 2WD, in case ya didnt see it in the side bar of my username.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chronic2001

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT 2WD
4r55e wont move

Looks like transfer case may be the issue from what i read in this thread. So, that really is cheaper and easier to grab off a junkyard ride, so unless anyone has any other suggestions, i would assume starting with the transfer case would be the better route to go.
A used trans is all of $105 from the yard, hopefully the transfer case will be half that and i can start with that.

Was thinking about swapping in a 5spd and converting to 4WD, but tbh, i really just want this fn truck out of my life and off my driveway for close to what i paid for it, which wasn't much at all, just dont want to sell it for 5-600 as is just to get it out of my hair... Would much rather fix it, and then sell it as running for what i paid or a tad more, and roll that into something else that has 4WD already.

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
4r55e wont move

Looks like transfer case may be the issue from what i read in this thread. So, that really is cheaper and easier to grab off a junkyard ride, so unless anyone has any other suggestions, i would assume starting with the transfer case would be the better route to go.
A used trans is all of $105 from the yard, hopefully the transfer case will be half that and i can start with that.

Was thinking about swapping in a 5spd and converting to 4WD, but tbh, i really just want this fn truck out of my life and off my driveway for close to what i paid for it, which wasn't much at all, just dont want to sell it for 5-600 as is just to get it out of my hair... Would much rather fix it, and then sell it as running for what i paid or a tad more, and roll that into something else that has 4WD already.
you dont have a tcase, being a 2wd. unless they still did dummy cases like the bii which afaik is not int he x too

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
Can you post some pictures of the transmission and slip yoke?

Chronic2001

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT 2WD
Can you post some pictures of the transmission and slip yoke?
That is what i had already taken. I will get some better pics either in a min or tomorrow.

you dont have a tcase, being a 2wd. unless they still did dummy cases like the bii which afaik is not int he x too
Pretty sure i do. That is what the slip yoke goes into i would assume. Might be called something other than a Transfer Case but think thats what it is and what the haynes calls it.

IMG_0655.JPEG IMG_0691.JPEG IMG_0692.JPEG IMG_0693.JPEG IMG_0694.JPEG IMG_0695.JPEG IMG_0696.JPEG IMG_0697.JPEG IMG_0698.JPEG IMG_0779.JPEG

Attachments

• IMG_0779.MOV
    982.4 KB

Fix4Dirt

Get a Load O' This Guy!
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 XLT 4x4
That is what i had already taken. I will get some better pics either in a min or tomorrow.

Pretty sure i do. That is what the slip yoke goes into i would assume. Might be called something other than a Transfer Case but think thats what it is and what the haynes calls it.

View attachment 434712 View attachment 434713 View attachment 434714 View attachment 434715 View attachment 434716 View attachment 434717 View attachment 434718 View attachment 434719 View attachment 434720 View attachment 434721
interesting its called a tcase. think its the tail shaft housing, if im seeing/thinking about the right part

Josh P

Shaggin Wagon
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 aerostar
On a 2wd that is the tail housing or extension housing. Does the car roll with the driveshaft removed?

Chronic2001

Reaction score
City, State
Birmingham
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT 2WD
On a 2wd that is the tail housing or extension housing. Does the car roll with the driveshaft removed?
I will test that out this weekend and let you know. Trying to finish my mk4 GTi and that will be done tonight.

~X~

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Southern Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
6 Explorers & a 91 Ranger
Have you checked the trans fluid?

I've had trucks with automatics stop moving from a clogged filter. It's worth checking, the contents of the pan will tell you alot.

C420sailor

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT SOHC, 99 EB 5.0L
Agree with above. I’d put money on it being the axle.