1996 4R55E seized and wont move forwards or backwards, even when in N. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 4R55E seized and wont move forwards or backwards, even when in N.

Got the truck up on stands. Just splitting time between getting my old daily back running properly without overheating, 04 GTi 1.8T manual ofc that i just got running and driving a couple months ago, and the exploder generally means i work more on the GTi since its so damn close to being back in action after i let it sit for 5-6 years...

Hoping for nice weather when i get off work today so i can drop the pan and get that filter out, get some good pics of that once i clean the fluid and get those posted. Grabbing a new seal and filter at least today, already have fluid, and looking at a rear diff rebuild kit as well depending on how the trans looks once i take her skirt off.

Just posting to let anyone following know i am still working on it, just not as much or as fast as i would like due to, well life lol. I will say, I generally fell much better overall, sleep better, and look forward to getting home after work now that evenings and weekends are spent working on different things/projects opposed to when i used to just get home and watch TV/YT/Movies or just play a game until i got tired. Amazing what a bit of moving around and solving little problems here and there will do for ya... Think there is a proverb in there somewhere, i just ain't smart enough to find it ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just posting to let anyone following know i am still working on it, just not as much or as fast as i would like due to, well life lol. I will say, I generally fell much better overall, sleep better, and look forward to getting home after work now that evenings and weekends are spent working on different things/projects opposed to when i used to just get home and watch TV/YT/Movies or just play a game until i got tired. Amazing what a bit of moving around and solving little problems here and there will do for ya... Think there is a proverb in there somewhere, i just ain't smart enough to find it ;)
physical activity and a break from monotony does help with sleep. all in moderation ;)

physical activity and a break from monotony does help with sleep. all in moderation ;)

Hear Hear! Seems too many ppl these days forget moderation is critical in relation to consuming or doing almost anything. Nice to find an online forum where these ideas are prevalent opposed to the opposite.

Looks like low 70's and no rain when i am getting home today. Looks like we will get to see how the ol girl looks without her skirt on tonight. Will post pics once i get the pan off, then with the filter off, then with all old fluid wiped off. When looking at trans repair kits online saw some that also offered new solenoids as well. Assume those often fail as well, but not familiar enough with the inner workings of a trans to know if those could be playing a part in my issue. Should be able to remove and test the current ones or test while installed with a multimeter.

Will plan to test those once the pan/filter are off and old fluid wiped off if need be and access is easy to those.

Last time i was in the dentist chair a few weeks ago the tech said this may hurt a little, replied, anything worth anything hurts a bit. Think there is a bit of truth in both outlooks pertaining to moderation and overdoing things. Just depends what activity those ideas are being applied to.

When it comes to fixing up a metal death box, you're damn right Sailor.

Two wheel drive & 4 wheel drive use different filters. Always a good idea to double check before you leave the auto parts store.

Pulled the pan of the tran, removed filter. Drained fluid obv, took pics of condition of trans w/o the filter on it. Still need to remove the old goop from the rim of the pan, and stopping to get new filter tomorrow and gasket. Double checked and have the 2WD filter and proper gasket in cart at AZ.

Plan is to test the solenoids and if those test just fine, install the new filter, gasket, fluid, then crank and let it idle for a bit, either still on the jacks or w the rear wheels off the ground at least and see if i get some wheels spinning without a load on the rear diff, and if so, put the rear down and see if the issue is 'fixed' or if i then need to look at the rear diff. Rebuild or grab a whole damn axle from the junkyard depending on prices.

Will ofc finish doing what the haynes book says to do before doing the plan listed above. hadnt looked at what those steps are if they are different from what is listed above.

All Opposed??

cleaned.jpg dirty w tools.jpg finger swipe on magnet.jpg have to finish later fight me.jpg IMG_0242.jpg IMG_0243(1).jpg IMG_0244(2).jpg IMG_0245(2).jpg naked 2.jpg naked.jpg pan.jpg shifter close up.jpg shifter side cleaned no filter.jpg shifter side w filter on.jpg sNoid side no filter cleaned.jpg underside no filter cleaned.jpg

love the bungee cords and foil!
Looks like regular clutch material
No glitter or shiny bits in the fluid? No metal bits on magnet

love the bungee cords and foil!
Looks like regular clutch material
No glitter or shiny bits in the fluid? No metal bits on magnet

Lol if it works it aint stupid right?!? No glitter or metal on the magnet. Fluid i have still but didnt take a pic of. Took a vid of it pouring out of the pan in like 10 diff little streams as i found it pretty lol. Fluid was red coming out of the pan in the streams and dark in the catch pan i had. No glitter or big chunks of any metal.

Have new filter and seal/O-rings getting picked up from AZ today so when i get home ill put them bad boys on, follow the steps in the book to button everything up and see if i got lucky and a new filter and fluid solves my issue or if i get to have some more fun troubleshooting after that.

These transmissions sometimes break a band and lose 2nd. There is a bracket end in the pan if that happens. Forscan also has good data on this trans, you can see a bunch of parameters when you start it up. A lot of data for '96, probably almost as much as a new one!

These transmissions sometimes break a band and lose 2nd. There is a bracket end in the pan if that happens. Forscan also has good data on this trans, you can see a bunch of parameters when you start it up. A lot of data for '96, probably almost as much as a new one!
Im went against mama's advice and was a dumbass instead of a smartass with the post title. Its a 1995 2wd XLT. The info on the side bar is right but the big bold text at the top of the post was my dumbass mistake.

Buttoning up now before dinner hopefully.

Im went against mama's advice and was a dumbass instead of a smartass with the post title. Its a 1995 2wd XLT. The info on the side bar is right but the big bold text at the top of the post was my dumbass mistake.

Buttoning up now before dinner hopefully.
Good luck! For a 95 you would need one of those vintage MT-2500 scanners.

Status update. New filter and fluid installed. Someone came over and stole one of my bolts for the trans pan out of the mag bolt holder thing, strangest thing for someone to break in and steal but there is absolutely no other explanation possible so oh well, 'they' got me for 27 cents and i had to grab a replacement from AZ...

The truck is no longer seized up when in N and will drive forwards when in D or 2. But the 2wd 4r55e will no longer move while in reverse. So starting to look up info on the probable cause of that, and what to check next. Im sure that is going to require dropping her skirt again and getting further into the trans, or maybe one of the solenoids is bad, i didn't check any of those with a volt meter while i had access to them, tho again i have no idea if that is even a possible cause of the issue and from the little i have read so far, i doubt it would only be the solenoid that is the issue.

I am open for any suggestions on what i should check next. I am going to idle the truck a bit more per the steps in the book on this process and cycle thru the gears but i don't think doing so longer than i have already done will fix the issue, but since it doesn't require anything but time to do, worth doing so a few more times for 10 min or so, shut off, check fluid levels and see if that helps. Also, will more than likely put the back wheels on a dolly so i can at least maneuver the truck to a spot where i can actually drive it and check that D, 2 and 1 are actually all working as they should. Was able to tell it was driving forwards by giving it some gas in D and the truck driving up the chock blocks and when i was able to rock the truck back and forth and get the chock block out from the front wheels the truck did start rolling towards me while in N.

Book states to idle a little over normal idle, then run thru the gears, turn off and check levels and leaks. Then drive for 15 min and check again. Hoping maybe driving it around the neighborhood for 10-15 min could possibly get fluid flowing everywhere it needs to and get R working but don't have high hopes for that.
EDIT: Dont think i will drive the truck with the trans not working while in R if doing the idle and going thru the gears a few more times doesnt get R working properly. Just from what dude man in the vid below from 10 years ago suggests. Though, if the easiest resolution would be to grab a used trans from the yard or if the 'band' mentioned causing the no Reverse issue is something i can do to this trans with or without dropping the whole trans, i would be willing to try installing a new band in the current trans to see if i can fix the current trans and not have to replace the whole thing.

Started watching the vid below and it seems that the 2WD fix isn't as much of a PITA as the 4WD models, but haven't made it thru the full vid to see if this is something that i would consider undertaking myself, or at this point, looking at just getting a replacement trans for it either at a local shop or pull one from yard since the weekend weather is finally not as hot and humid as the underside of a scrotum.
Think one from the yard is right at $100 w/like a 30 day warranty. Also with that being the case, if a partial rebuild/specific fix for no reverse is cheaper than that, i would def be OK with pulling mine and giving that a shot before buying a replacement from the yard.

Good luck! For a 95 you would need one of those vintage MT-2500 scanners.
If those scanners aren't unobtanium and i can grab one from amazon or ebay, and that type of scanner would tell me any more info about the condition of the transmission, i will see about grabbing one today so i can have that this week. I will take a look for those now to see if getting one isn't all that much or difficult these days.
EDIT: Have an OBD-1 scanner with the ford pinout on it coming in tuesday, so i will plan on grabbing the codes from the truck and posting those once i have them. Still open to suggestions for anything to try tomorrow evening after work, though would prob be best to just wait for the scanner and grab all the codes then post those. Ill post the book description of each code i am able to pull from the Crimson C*nt, think that is a proper name for her per the trials and tribulations I've gone thru in the first 350 miles with this PITA...

Does look like solenoids could be part of the problem. I would assume dropping the pan again, and checking those electric connections on the solenoid/s themselves along with the harness they plug into would possibly be my next step. Did find this site below with some troubleshooting steps/tips for this trans:

On a 2wd that is the tail housing or extension housing. Does the car roll with the driveshaft removed?
That part, https://www.explorerforum.com/forum...5/415637-ba066bc2ee48149780172507122c79a7.jpg is the Over Drive from what 'dude down the way' said when taking a look under there w me the other day.

I think the problem is with the rear axle.
My current problem is for sure. Opening up either one night this week or this weekend.

If you have an open differential, wheels will free spin without the driveshaft turning. You should be able to spin the driveshaft both directions by hand with the transmission in neutral. What I recommend is to pull the cover off the rear axle. Inspect it, if it looks good then drop the pan on the transmission, replace the filter and fluid.
Was able to spin wheels like you described. Also, the Trans service got the truck working in Drive. And it rolls forward when in N, but i cant push or pull it backwards when in N. So now....
The problem could be in the transmission, nothing has been ruled out yet and since the rear axle needs to be serviced to fix the leak, that is the place to start. Post pictures of the gears once you open it up.
"A little column A, a little column B"
With the risk of Jinxing myself, i bet you called it exactly in this post. Trans was def part of the issue, servicing it properly shows that now that it rolls forward and drives forward in D and 2, i didnt have 1 when i bought the truck but idc about that atm...
Now im gonna service the rear diff, once i check out that bootie hole in the axle, hoping one of the many moving parts/gear/gearwheels is obv broke or really really worn out, and servicing that will get things spinning both ways. "Phrasing"

Ill post the pics of them backside guts for everyones spank bank once i talk them panties off the crimson c*nt.

Last line is great.

Back