1996 5.0L AC work. Need some capacities please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 5.0L AC work. Need some capacities please

1997XLTRollover

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD 5.0
As the title states I'm replacing the dryer on my 1996 5.0 AWD due to a leak in the system at that connection. Does anyone have the service manual and know the capacity for refrigerant and how much oil should be added when replacing the dryer line only? I'm sure I can find an AC sticker on the hood for refrigerant capacity but I figured I'd ask that anyway. I'm sure it says nothing about adding oil through for a certain component replacement.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

buy the can with a gauge, spray till it reads correctly, you're good to go

That's a real hack way of doing ac haha. You really should know both high and low side pressures, those cans can cause real inaccuracies for many reasons. I will be pulling full vacuum, adding proper amounts of oil and then charging using a manifold gauge set. But that aside I mostly have to know oil to add. My guess would be 1 oz for that line. But id like to know the real number so I don't add too much or too little. Oh and orphis tube will be replaced while it's all apart too just for peace of mind.

for the 2000 model it is 30 oz of refrigerant (2 and 1/2 12 oz cans). It should be on one of the the decals at the front of the engine compartment. I would pour out what is in the dryer and replace with the same amount.

Yeah I'm sure it says the charge amount. I think 95-96 is different than 97-01. But not a bad idea about the oil. I'll add a hair more because I know some leaked out with this leak, my line is covered.

Side note, when I vacuum the system down will that pull out the old oil?

I'd just pour out the dryer and replace whatever is in there by measuring what comes out, since almost all of the oil should stay in the compressor.

pulling vacuum will not pull out the old oil.

Back