1996 Aerostar. Passenger radio control wiring. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Aerostar. Passenger radio control wiring.

South ATX

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
Hi
Newbie here. I purchased my 96 XLT a few months ago, and have grown to really like it. I recently had a new stereo installed ( just a simple Radio/CD unit). Best Buy did the install and used a new wiring harness. I then installed new rear(side) speakers and am now experiencing the low volume and distortion issues that I have read about, due to the common ground issue with Aerostars.

Do I understand correctly that bypassing the rear controls will eliminate this problem? I did read that rewiring the speakers completely will solve the problem, but I am hoping to avoid that.

If bypassing the controls will work, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the rear controls? All of the ones I have found on the internet don't quite match the colors I have, or are not for the rear controls. I have a list of the wires/colors that I have if needed.

I would appreciate any information, suggestions or feedback on this problem.
THANK YOU!
Kelly

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Follow UP

Just to follow up on my own subject. The issue with the poor sound has to do with the new replacement speakers being 4 ohms, and the original speakers were 6 ohms. The stereo was overdriving the new speakers. I put the old ones back in, and the problem is gone. To use the new ones, I would need to run new wiring to the new stereo ( as detailed in many online forums) or find 6 ohm car speakers (which seem to be rare).

Good point. Sounds like it might work. Should be easy enough to try at some point.

I would use a high wattage resistor instead of an ordinary resistor. Some auto parts stores sell high power resistors for LED taillight bulb adaptation. Radio Shack might be another place to look as well as EBay or Amazon.

Excellent idea. I will give it a try. There are hundred of posts on the internet from people installing new speakers in their Aerostars, then experiencing this same sound quality problem. Nearly all these posts have answers suggesting a complete rewire to solve it. Only one or two address the 6ohm/8 ohm issue. I haven't read any that suggest adding a resistor to fix it. Seems like the easiest solution by far.

Back