• Register Today It's free!

1996 Aerostar XLT. Lean code.

Mark Embury

Reaction score
City, State
OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford aerostar xlt
My 1996 Ford Aerostar 3.0 XLT runs great, never stalls, good gas mileage. Recent trip 400 miles 21 a gallon. It has the lean run code.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mechanic read code, observed evap cannisterhose to intake, replaced, code returned after two cycles. Van starts every time, does not stall, sluggish in the mountains. Help.

Bad spark plug or engine miss causes lean code too.

Took it back to shop. No charge for labor, owner said diagnostic smoke test should have been done. PCV dirty and loose. Replace for $20, no labor charged. Advised mass air flow meter needs testing, I will replace it myself. Is there any special method? Look straight forward.

mark

that was quick.lol
Well the work was done in February. So, lol it is. I have poor gas milage at times. No codes. Changed fuel filter. Have good power no stalls, quick starting. I have a brand new boss upper plenum with the sensors, new OEM Ford, slap onnnew egr, and see what happens, any advice?

have the 02s been repalced at anytime? I replaced mine in my b3000 3.0 when it just stareted running "off" of its normal pepping self and it was like i dropped in a new motor. They did also have almost 250k miles on them but it also was nt giving in codes. They had just gotten 'lazy' so to speak, they work and dont throw codes just not really as they should. further during that time i read that Ford states they should be changed at least every 100k or sooner.

Josh, having new problem, can't get site to post new thread. Friend smell fuel in exhaust and there are no codes.
An OBD 2 scanner would be a very good investment if you do not have one. You could monitor the sensors and fuel. The O2 and coolant temp sensors would be the first 2 things I'd check.

Back