1996 AWD Eddie Bauer - replace broken door handle | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 AWD Eddie Bauer - replace broken door handle

grade_t

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Eddie Bauer
1996 AWD V8 Eddie Bauer Explorer - broken drivers door handle. Only one of the two connectors is broken, but it is the main one. Pulled the door panel off to get a good look....

One can see what appear to be aluminum rivets which hold the door handle to the door body, but its not clear if or how these might be removed. Right now, the handle is held on by only one of the connector, and therefore, flops around, esp if the vehicle goes over a bump.

I see that aftermarket handles can be had for about $12 plus shipping, but they will be black in color. I would have to improvise painting it to my car's color, not my first choice.

I was hoping to remove the bad unit and have it welded.

But first, how to get the old unit out ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't done this, so I can't say from experience. I have a functioning handle with a broken spring and have been wanting to replace my handle as well.

I'm pretty sure you would have to grind them out or drill those rivets to put in a new handle. I know there isn't alot of access to get at that handle.

Of course painting the new handle to match.

Poke out the center of the rivet and break off the peels with pliers. They will come right out

I put a new bend on the broken handle springs a couple of years ago and they still work fine. No new handle needed.

Poke out the center of the rivet and break off the peels with pliers. They will come right out

or from the outside, use a punch to drive the rivet nail out, then use a drill, and drill the rivet out. very simple, and should only take about a min. as for color, go to a auto body supply store with your paint code (should be on the drivers door sticker) and see if they can make you a spray can with the color of your truck.

Back