• Register Today It's free!

1996 cam sensor issues

Taube

Reaction score
City, State
Hamilton
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer awd
Hey guys did a 2000 swap into my 96 I changed the can sensor as recommended now I have a code p0304 I did notice the 2000 has a small steal piece in the distributor and my 96 was bigger more like a half moon. Should I swap distributors as well ??? The look different. Can get pics of needed. It's the 5.0 engine

Thanks all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok took apart the cam sensor destroyed so I d say it needed to be swapped. Now how to you set the distributor for timing on this thing ???? Has like a half moon of steel inside under cam sensor????

So to be clear you put a 2000 5.0 engine into your 96 5.0 explorer?

oh man....okay yes you have to remove the 2000 synchronizer and install the 96 synchronizer, the cam sensor on top is not the only part that is different!
the flag in the 98-2001 is not compatible with the flag in the 96 and vise versa
Whomever told you to swap sensors probably means the whole synchronizer assembly.

The basics:
bring cyl 1 to TDC on compression stroke. Check mark on balancer it should be pointed at the 0 or between the 0 and the 10
Install new synchronizer so it points like this:
171_270926_420000000.jpg

Install sensor
You'r done!

Mine looks different I 'll get a pic.

whats pictured there is the synchronizer with the alignment tool on top
You need the tool for proper alignment when installed at TDC
I am quite familiar with the 5.0 engines and their cam synchros

Sorry its still early

whats pictured there is the synchronizer with the alignment tool on top
You need the tool for proper alignment when installed at TDC
I am quite familiar with the 5.0 engines and their cam synchros

Sorry its still early

Oh ok. Well I just poped mine in with new sensor and it runs. now how do I set base timing ? I pulled the spout out but nothing changes ??

The timing is adjusted by the PCM
You do not "adjust" base timing you simply need to install the synchronizer on the correct tooth of the camshaft with the alignment tool in place
So bring engine cylinder 1 to TDC on compression stroke, install cam sensor with alignment tool in place, pointed like the picture above (basically arrow points 10-15 degrees off to the drivers side like the pic)
And you are done.
This is installing the cam synchro on the correct tooth of the camshaft thus setting "base" timing
The computer uses the crank sensor and the cam sensor to know where the engine is in rotation and thus adjusts air/spark/fuel based on these inputs. The 5.0 will run with a damaged cam synchro you will just be using default maps and get a check engine light (p0340)

Ok thanks so much for the info. Now I know why it ran with the broken sensor. Truck seems to run good and no more code. Think it's worth pulling it out and getting that tool or should be fine ??

Afte3r enough drive cycles you will have a code
Running "good" and running "properly" are two different things
I would get a new 96 style sensor and install it in the correct position.
The cam sensors usually come with the alignment tool
You can get them fairly cheap also, we have had good luck in the 5.0 with the Richporter aftermarket part (sold under a few different names)
Here they are from $22 to $140 at rockauto:

1996 FORD EXPLORER 5.0L V8 Camshaft Synchronizer | RockAuto

Ok great thanks for the help. I bin away for few weeks so it's bin parked. How or where do I learn more about the computer in my 1996 as I want to ad a turbo or supercharger for it. Also what is the spout counter there for ?

what do you want to know about your 96 engine computer?

Your PCM (powertrain control module, OBD2 engine control computer) controls the engine and transmission functions on the 96 model.
It is OBD2, 96 is before PATS security and you have a GT40 engine non "P" heads.
The spout connector is usually for adjusting base timing, removing the spout takes away the computers ability to advance/retard timing. I am not sure the 96 5.0 has a spout connector???
Please explain,help us help you!

what do you want to know about your 96 engine computer?

Your PCM (powertrain control module, OBD2 engine control computer) controls the engine and transmission functions on the 96 model.
It is OBD2, 96 is before PATS security and you have a GT40 engine non "P" heads.
The spout connector is usually for adjusting base timing, removing the spout takes away the computers ability to advance/retard timing. I am not sure the 96 5.0 has a spout connector???
Please explain,help us help you!

So far lots of good info. So I can't adjust base timing. And yes I wonder why the spout is there. So if I add heads cam and so on I need the pcm tuned.

The 96 pcm can accommodate quite a bit without a tune, a mild cam and aluminum heads can still be run with the factory pcm
A tune would help unleash more power yes, but it is not required just to run it.

Back