• Register Today It's free!

1996 EGR Valve 5.0L

chuck1022

Reaction score
City, State
Scottsdale az
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 ford explorer v8
Thank you all for helping me with my exhaust manifold issue. I successfully put a cast iron 97.5 manifold on my 96 and everything seems OK.

Now I would like to replace the EGR valve. I have P0401 CEL. EGR "A" Flow insufficient detected.

I will order a new EGR VALVE but the common theme is the impossible bottom bolt.

Would my life be easier taking off the throttle body elbow it is attached to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Test the valve first. That code is often thrown by a cracked vac line

It can be easier to remove the whole
Elbow yes however it is possible to get those egr bolts if you have the right combo of tools

I would do an inspection first make sure it’s not something simple

Copy... I will start with simple.

I use a shorty ratchet wrench to get to it. It's not in the greatest spot, but it's not too bad

What is this thing next to EGR

20230322_101326.jpg 20230322_101340.jpg 20230322_101400.jpg

Yes that is the vacuum switch that controls vacuum flow to the diaphram

So that could be f'd up and not the actual EGR?

Or the vacuum lines to it

Simple check if you apply vacuum to the diaphram it will open you can see it move

When the one on my 96 went bad I could clearly see a rip in the orange diaphragm membrane

Mine was bad and causing an excessive EGR code.

Thorstone Brake Bleeder Kit with Hand Held Vacuum Pump Tester | 16pcs Brake Clutch Bleeder Tool with Adapters for Car Kitchen Uses | One-Man Brake Bleeding System Apply to Bike, Motorcycle, Car, Truck https://a.co/d/8NWsxpZ

This would work right???

yes that will apply vacuum for testing
can also use your mouth for a quick test

Thank you all for helping me with my exhaust manifold issue. I successfully put a cast iron 97.5 manifold on my 96 and everything seems OK.

Now I would like to replace the EGR valve. I have P0401 CEL. EGR "A" Flow insufficient detected.

I will order a new EGR VALVE but the common theme is the impossible bottom bolt.

Would my life be easier taking off the throttle body elbow it is attached to?
I'd like to suggest that if you're going to put in a new EGR valve, then replace the tube at the same time.

You may want to go ahead and replace the EGR Vacuum Solenoid, mine failed and burned out part of the Powertrain Control Module. You're driving a '96, it's due. Preventative maintenance. The solenoid has a coil in it activated by the PCM which moves a valve to regulate the vacuum to the EGR, the coil can wear through and short out the circuit to the PCM melting those connections in it.

Replaced vacuum solenoid. Check engine light still came on. Bought new egr valve,,,,it looks wrong to me???!!!

20230328_155549.jpg 20230328_155545.jpg

The one I posted pics of looks like it has an electronic connection to it. Maybe I take that off the old one and put it on the new one?

The EGR position sensor is attached to it. Just swap it to the new EGR

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back