1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV Electrical Problem???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer 4.0 OHV Electrical Problem????

DemonRat

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer 4.0
I recently replaced the headlight switch and the harness pigtail because both were melted together. I got both parts from the local store. I checked the back end of the plug i cut off the harness and made sure I connected the wires back together like the one I cut off. After I got that all done I had nothing. Battery was dead. I charged it and when I went to check my lights nothing worked. I had no headlights when I turned the switch. I had parking lights when I turned them on but no headlights, dash lights and speedometer, or rpm gauge work.. The switch has the blue light so I can see what I turned the knob too. I have checked all my fuses inside cab and engine compartment. When I pull the turn signal towards me I have high beams. When I push it away from me I have nothing. I rechecked my wiring and It is good I even went back to my local store and asked if they had one with the colored wires I could take a picture of and they did. Could this be a relay problem. I'm stumped on this and used my power tester to see if all the connections have made have power to them when its needed. Did I get a bad switch?? Any help is much appreciated as I'm about to go out and shoot it.lol.

Did you lights work before you changed the switch and pigtail? do you know why the wires melted? Short? did you check further back into the loom to verify the wiring to be good?

Check your relay - Maybe borrow one from another port and plug in just to rule out a bad relay. When you push the turn signal forward, it sends a signal to a relay to switch headlights from hight/low beams.

I'd get a multi-meter (and schematic) and check all the wiring at back of switch for power at the switch to ensure power, and cycle to verify power is being ported to right wiring for each accessory. If your not getting power to the right wire/accessory, the switch may be bad. You can also pull the switch to check for continuity at each pin when you cycle the switch as well to verify if it is still good.

If power is porting to the right wire, and its still doesn't work, its possible the wiring may be compromised somewhere into the loom. Chasing Gremilin's can be No-Fun!

Im not sure how the spedo and tach operation are related to the light switch, except for the actual dash lights (Im guessing that's what you mean).

Headlight Switch: Problems with Wiring

I recently replaced the headlight switch and the harness pigtail because both were melted together.

I'm not an electrician, but I think your current problem is centered around why this event occurred, rather than the replacement part you purchased...

Do you have a message center? There is a sensor module that goes bad, it checks to see if your headlights work.

Back