1996 Explorer 4.0L with an air bag code 52. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer 4.0L with an air bag code 52.

wolf1095

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 explorer
I have an airbag light flash code 52 (my son pulled the wrong fuse) low voltage. How do I reset the light?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was told to jump the two wire diagnostic plug located in the right kick panel area color code should be T/R & BK/W. Turn igition switch on should hear an audible beep, Turn the switch off and unplug the jumper. This should clear the 52 code. Mine was the ribbon wiring in the steeing that I had to replace. then I replaced the 10 amp fuse and got the same thing, code 52. Thx; Hope this works, I,m About to do this myself . Paul

The air bag module code reset procedure worked. two codes I had required two cycles of this procedure.now back to normal. Hope this helps .. Paul

same problem...

Hi all,

I had the same problem, but I can't find the 2 contact connector under the right side floor kick plate - I see lots of other plugs and wires there, fuel cut off switch, and what looks like the air bag module too - but no separate 2 prong plug just hanging out...

where exactly do I find this then in a '96 sport?

Thanks all!:exp:

I too have the code 52. It was code 12 first. I check all fuses, all were good. All connections... good. Replaced the SRS Module (rt. side kick panel) and now the 12 is gone but a 52 now shows up. There is NO two plug connector in the rt. side kick panes to clear it with. How do I get the code cleared??

Disconnect the battery, wait 10 minutes, reconnect the battery, then see if the code comes back again. If this doesn't work, then disconnect the battery & reinstall the original module. You might have installed a defective module. There's an internal fuse in the module that might have blown. The module also contains a back up battery system.

explorer airbag code 52

Thanks Brooklynbay for the suggestions. I tried them and I still get the same codes. #12 with the original one and code 52 with the replacement one. My Explorer is a 1998 .. if that makes any difference. It seems like the system just needs to be "reset" ... but there's not an easy way to do that it appears.

You are exactly right!!! I got another module from a second "junkyard" vehicle and it works just fine! ...
Thanks for all of your help!

Back