1996 Explorer 5.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer 5.0

nationg04

Reaction score
City, State
El Paso TX
I'm thinking about purchasing a 1996 Explorer 5.0, auto, 74,000 original miles, for 4700 cash. Just wondering if this is a decent deal or not. Also, where can I find after market parts? (lift kits, prerunner fenders, bumpers, things of that nature) Thanks in advance for the help...:exp::thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The low mileage is attractive, but at that price, I would personally pass on it. Two years ago, I bought a '98 5.0 AWD with 70k for $3200. Last October, I bought an '01 5.0 AWD with 127k for $2400. The deals are out there... you just have to be willing to look for a little while.

Can't speak to the price, but I have a '97 5.0 2WD Eddie Bauer with 235K on it and it has been one of the most durable vehicles I have ever owned. Just changing out the ball joints for the first time now; bushing are all still just fine. Have had to replace water pump as only repair on engine. I would still drive it across the country with little concern.

I paid $3000 a couple of months ago for my 2000 XLT,5.0,it's very clean and the girl really liked it so why not.:D

X6,where the heck is Bentree, WV,I lived in Lewisburg for years.

$2800 tops, I'd say.

I paid $3000 a couple of months ago for my 2000 XLT,5.0,it's very clean and the girl really liked it so why not.:D

X6,where the heck is Bentree, WV,I lived in Lewisburg for years.

Bentree is located in the southern tip of Clay County where Clay, Kanawha, Fayette, and Nicholas all come together. I'm roughly an hour and a half from Lewisburg. BTW, historical Lewisburg is a beautiful town. My wife and I took a Sunday drive last year and ended up there.

I agree with the other guys. $4700 is too much to pay for a '96 even with low mileage. I've got a '99 with only 75,000 miles on the clock and wouldn't expect $4,700 for mine and it's in stellar condition with a lot of upgrades (exhaust, headers etc).

I have the same Explorer. it had 110,000 miles when I got it 3 months ago. It has leather seats, moon roof, 6 disc CD and premium sound, and power everything. Plus, I bought it from the original owners who only sold it because they got bored with it after 15 years, and it's in perfect condition. I paid $3800 for it. It's a great car

Back