1996 Explorer AWD Rolls back on hill | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer AWD Rolls back on hill

allie2310

Reaction score
City, State
Wagoner, Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 AWD V8 Explorer
VIN # 1FMDU35P3TZB18794 - Should be a 1996 AWD V8 Eddie Bauer explorer.

I bought this a few months ago for $800 just to pull my boat back and forth. It has been in rouuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh shape but did run good. It has an exhaust leak and the check engine light is on because of that. The cruise control didn't work and I replaced those controls and it works fine. The back hatch wouldn't open so I ripped off the back panel and figured out the latch wasn't connecting to the handle and fixed that. As a single mom, who only knew how to change my oil and check my fluids, and replace the occassional blow out, I think I am off to a good start. I am willing to learn and have patience. But now....I am having two other issues.....and I need some expert help!!

I hadn't parked on a hill until I tried to back up and launch my boat and the explorer started slowly rolling down the hill. Freaked me out! Anyways, the previous owner didn't disclose this to me but oh well. Now I just need to figure out how to fix it and preferably on my own. I want to say the driveshaft is not on the vehicle. He had told me he took it off the vehicle which disables AWD and he did this because it supposively gets better gas mileage. I also read it could be the park pin or transmission but I would like to know how to figure this out.

Then..the second problem I have is that the front end squeaks like no other!!!!!!!!!! This is driving me crazy. I used WD-40 on it and it helped for a few days but I need a permanent fix. I don't know if it's AON bushings (if thats even right) or sway bar bushings or what the deal is, and if it is those how hard is that to fix, does anyone have a guide to help me along...

ANNNNNNNNNY advice is much appreciated!!!!!!!!!! Thanks,

Lexi

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention, I DO have the drive shaft bar he gave that to me when I bought it and I don't know if I need to put it back or not. And if so, is that something I can do on my own? Thanks.

Actually the problem is the driveshaft being removed, the viscous coupler allows the rear shaft to slowly slip.
Put it back on hopefully it is good and you have the hardware.

Front end squek is probably A-Arm bushings, try to grease and grease zerks on the front end also.

Welcome to the site Congrats on the Work you've done !

@Bruce'sexpo....Thank you!

@Windsors03Cobra...Thank you..I have the driveshaft part and hardware I will try that tomorrow and let you know!

@RangersSVT..Thank you for your advice. I am hoping that is the last resort of what is wrong.

Is there only one Control Arm bushing on each side?

Is there only one Control Arm bushing on each side?

There are 4 on each side, total of 8. The control arm (sometimes referred to A arms) have 2 bushings each, one at each leg of the "A", where it attaches to the frame.
The ball joints are at the tip of the A, and connect to the steering knuckle, these can make noise to. Try greasing them, if they have grease fittings. Check the rubber boots for rips.

I would spray each point with WD40 (or equivalent) 1 at a time, then test it. That will show you exactly which one is making the noise.

@Snoranger...Thanks so much, I will try that tomorrow and let you know how it goes...

with what you have already done,, id say your probably well qualified, to certainly put back your drive shaft.. get pics of how it should look,, keep the bolts tight and make sure the cups are deep behind thd clips hwhere they belong, and keep us apprised of what u,ve accomplished, have fun, let us know, buck

@ Buck...Good Advice, I will let you know tomorrow!

Actually the problem is the driveshaft being removed, the viscous coupler allows the rear shaft to slowly slip.

I was told this also, but before i did my swap on my Trac I had the 1354 and did not have slippage issues, after the swap with the Trac's original driveshafts ( both if them, I didn't use the donor ex's shafts) I have slippage, which leads me to believe its in the case. Same with my ranger swap, I reused the same rear driveshaft. Same results, although I can't confirm this as I haven't pulled the 4404 apart yet to verify. Next week I should be installing my doubler so I'll be able to tear into the 4404 and verify the problem...

SVT

Please keep me posted on whether that was the issue when you work on it next week SVT. I appreciate your advice!!!

I got my doubler finished and should be installing it tomorrow, so I should be digging into the 4404 either tomorrow or Friday. And for those that haven't seen SVT lately, here it is with me and my ST...
002.jpg

SVT

Back