1996 Explorer E-Brake Pedal Stuck

SSummerton

Reaction score
City, State
Norwalk, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT & 2006 EB
Hello All,

So today I took my 1996 Explorer out for a drive after it has been sitting for a few months. It started right up and rode as if I drove it everyday. This was my first new truck and I have some attachment issues, but now for the problem. This Explorer is manual so I always set the parking brake with I park it. I was parking it in it's usual spot, and went to push the parking brake down, something popped and the pedal went all they way down to the floor. I went to release it and it did not move. The brake release handle is all intact, but feels like it is no longer connected to the pedal. So, is there a way I can manually disengage the pedal with e screwdriver or pilers, or do I have to have it towed to get fixed? Yes the brake is on. I pulled it and there was a lot of resistance from the rear wheels. Thanks for your help. ~Steve

The brake pads are held in place by the tension in the cable back to them. If the release did not release the tension, then the cable must still be tight and holding the pedeal. I would first try looking at where the release is connected to the brake lever to see if something came loose. That used to happen with a Bronco I had, but I have not had this problem with my Explorer.

If you can't find what is holding the tension, you can find an adjustment on the cable underneath the body and if that does not work, there are star wheels inside the brake you can access from under the body at the wheels where there is a small rectangular rubber dust cover you can see on the brake shield. Look under the car from the differential to the brake and you will see the small rectangular boot and you can remove it and rotate the star wheel with a screw driver (move teeth of the star down) and that will release it the tension. It may take 10 or 20 clicks. Just be sure your wheels are chocked and in gear so it does not roll when you are under the vehicle!

i would say that the cables are probably rusted, and seized now,, find out where and replace the cable,
but for now, on the drivers side that is where the cables run, check under there to see if the cable broke as well,
and the cables can be accessed from under there so you can release them,, and let the pressure off so it can be driven again,,

Back