1996 explorer electrical issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer electrical issues

birdhunter14

Reaction score
City, State
Raymond, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am having issues with electrical system. First of all my dome lights stay on. Second, sometimes I can't start it unless I wiggle the ignition with the key in it. Also when it does start the DOOR AJAR light comes on and off. The power door locks also lock and unlock on their own. I do not know much about the electrical system. Can anyone tell me how to diagnose this, or what I should replace.

The locks, dome light, and door ajar light may have a common cause. Check the wiring going from the driver's and passenger's doors to the car - pull back the black boot back and look for damaged/broken/shorted wires.

As for the starting problems, you may need to reposition the ignition switch (under the steering column cover) - it sometimes comes loose. You may just need to replace it though. The key part should be fine - just the electrical switch itself.

I HAVE CHECKED THE WIRES AND CAN NOT FIND ANY DAMAGE. t REPOSITIONED THE IGNITION AND THAT DID NOT HELP. i REMOVED THE SWITCH AND CHECKED IT WITH A METER, IT'S OK. cOULD IT BE A SWITCH IN THE DOOR LATCH?

Back