City, State
Co,MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996-EXPLORER awd-ltd-v8
a few basic facts about the explorer:
  • 1996 AWD Limited w/ the 5.0L V8
  • 187,000 miles
problem:
noticed a high pitched squeal coming from the engine, but only while the engine was running cold (within the first 5-10minutes of driving.) took it to a reputable shop, and they said that a camshaft sensor was what was wrong. Didnt get it fixed at the time, that was 2 weeks ago.
yesterday, I noticed that my engine was idling rather rough while sitting in my driveway, and that the car would lurch forward upon acceleration at low RPMs. Is this related to the camshaft problem or entirely independent of that?
Help would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a few basic facts about the explorer:
  • 1996 AWD Limited w/ the 5.0L V8
  • 187,000 miles
problem:
noticed a high pitched squeal coming from the engine, but only while the engine was running cold (within the first 5-10minutes of driving.) took it to a reputable shop, and they said that a camshaft was starting to go bad on it. Didnt get it fixed at the time, that was 2 weeks ago.
yesterday, I noticed that my engine was idling rather rough while sitting in my driveway, and that the car would lurch forward upon acceleration at low RPMs. Is this related to the camshaft problem or entirely independent of that?
Help would be appreciated.

1) I would get a second opinion on the squeal problem. Could be something with the belts, pulleys or the camshaft synchronizer.

2) The other problem could be dirty IAC or MAF sensors. They can be cleaned, just search for those issues.

oh, yea, ya the mechanic said sensor, i knew that... thanks for the link
yea, its not the belt, i know its the sensor.
and the check engine light has been on for 7 years or something. the onboard computer failed, so the check engine light is always on.

oh, yea, ya the mechanic said sensor, i knew that... thanks for the link
yea, its not the belt, i know its the sensor.
and the check engine light has been on for 7 years or something. the onboard computer failed, so the check engine light is always on.

Go to the nearest autozone, have the codes scanned-
write the actual codes down, and post them back up here please.

Go to autozone and tell them your check engine light is on. Have then scan the computer for codes, and write them all down. The check engine light is on because something is wrong and until we fix that the engine will not run correctly.

Back