• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer Sport Headliner

Kevin Knyp

Reaction score
City, State
California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport XL
I have a 1996 Explorer Sport XL with moonroof (factory installed) and due to water leaks (the drain holes for moonroof were plugged) the headliner is deteriorating. It has completely come off the moonroof cover (and it rattles while driving). I'm worried that the cardboard backer for the headliner is damaged (it leaked for years before I bought it) and won't be reusable. Worry that while taking it down it will fall apart.

I've tried searching online for a full headliner replacement. I can't seem to find one for my year. Does anyone know where I can a full kit? I am OK with the do-it-yourself approach, but in this case I feel like full replacement would be better. And I don't want to pay a shop $500+ to replace the headliner.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I've not seen full replacements, but, you can get a roll of fabric and re-cover it.

I re-did mine with a roll of fabric from JoAnne's fabric (like a Hobby Lobby type store) and matched the factory color. I don't have a moon roof, but the headliner backer was pretty tough- I bet you could repair it with a coat of very thin "brush-on fiberglass, epoxy product, etc.
But to answer your question, No, I've not seen the full kit

Back