1996 explorer sport tail "sway" on bumps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer sport tail "sway" on bumps

pepehuertars

Reaction score
City, State
Santiago
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer Sport
Hi, I recently ran the truck on lots of rural roads, lots of bumpy trails, dust, etc.

The thing is that the truck's tail tends to sway from right to left, like losing traction, even when i just changed the 4 shock absorbers. It also happens in urban roads with smaller bumps.

Any clue on this behavior? is it normal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is your sway bar hardware all in good shape?

My mountaineers all did this to an extent on washboards. My last Mounty always seemed to kick out to the left. I mostly just got used to it and it became normal.

your truck is a sport correct? ditch the mon leaf in the back, and put a 4 door leaf spring in. it makes a night and day difference. i have drove my sons 00 sport, and when you compare it to mine (its lowered however, but has a EE rear sway bar, 4 door leafs, ans rancho rs 9000 shocks) mine feels like a sports car.

Thank you guys, I'll check on your tips. Will post updates

Update: after changing the OE hardware it keeps kicking to the left mainly specially in washboard roads. I'm a bit concerned since I'm taking the truck for a spin down to Carretera Austral, which is 60% washboarding lol. It keeps my speed under 40 Km/h (25 Mph), otherwise the tail kicks and feels dangerous when you have a cliff on the other side.

I've already changed struts and all the rubber bushings in the stabilizer bar and endlinks.

I don't know if Sports came with the rear axle damper, but maybe check to see if yours needs replacing.

I have one on my 96 four door, and I know mine is leaking. Although, mine did kick out on washboard roads before and after installing a new one...

P1060860.JPG

Update: after changing the OE hardware it keeps kicking to the left mainly specially in washboard roads. I'm a bit concerned since I'm taking the truck for a spin down to Carretera Austral, which is 60% washboarding lol. It keeps my speed under 40 Km/h (25 Mph), otherwise the tail kicks and feels dangerous when you have a cliff on the other side.

I've already changed struts and all the rubber bushings in the stabilizer bar and endlinks.
You don’t have struts, I assume you mean all 4 shocks. Does your Explorer lean to one side like most do?

I don't know if Sports came with the rear axle damper, but maybe check to see if yours needs replacing.

I have one on my 96 four door, and I know mine is leaking. Although, mine did kick out on washboard roads before and after installing a new one...

P1060860.JPG

It doesn't have that

You don’t have struts, I assume you mean all 4 shocks. Does your Explorer lean to one side like most do?

Shock absorbers I mean. Front ones I replaced them with OEM motorcraft, rear ones with Gabriel OE-like. I really don't know if it leans, do you mean while driving? or something I can see while parked? I have some deviation that I'm correcting with front camber and caster alignment.

0E7210A4-B855-4F11-A920-37D7A416013F.jpeg
31731A13-58B5-456A-8BAD-BA036E3A039E.jpeg

That's the rear suspension atm

Most of them sit lower on the drivers side because of the constant fuel and driver weight.

Most of them sit lower on the drivers side because of the constant fuel and driver weight.

I'm not sure really. But do you think that's the cause for the behavior on washboard roads?

Sway bar end-links and bushings exist (front and rear) to control sway on corners. The Sports came without the "5th-shock" that the 4-drs have and the ports have single leaf rear springs (AKA mono-leaf).

Other things that can effect cornering are leaf spring bushings and body mount bushings. Check those. Installing 4 dr multi-leaf rear springs will make a big difference too.

Back