• Register Today It's free!

1996 explorer surging at idle

ben/sherry

Reaction score
City, State
LOUISVILLE
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer
I have a 1996 explorer 4.0L automatic 4x4 , surges at idle when engine is worn and when it is in drive . when engine is cold , everything is normal . I have changed spark plugs and wires , smoked twice twice for leaks , no leaks found . idle air control sensor changed , all 3 o2 sensors changed . After o2 sensors changed , runs slightly better but still surges. Any help would be appreciated !! Also could a sensor in the transmission
cause this problem ? Thank you for your time !!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What plugs and wires did you use?

Is it ever hard to start when it’s warm?

-Does it surge / pulsate when accelerating? ..in other words....accelerate in increments...??
-It could be the TPS - throttle position sensor ....recommend using Motorcraft / not chinese for this.....
-Do you have a code reader?

Had a similar issue. I pulled the AC Delco plugs and wires and replaced the fuel filter with all Motorcraft parts. After that, I had no more problems.
Not sure if it was the plugs or the fuel filter, but it did the job. I will say that the fuel filter was really dirty and a had a lot of junk in it.
Either way, changing out all of that seems to be what I needed.
I hope this helps.

Do a fuel pressure test once it's warmed up/acting up..... could be your fuel pump....failing fuel pumps are more symptomatic when warmed up....especially if you are not getting any codes..
95 explorer idle and acceleration problems

Check rubber hoses around intake manifold. Mine did that with old collapsing hoses. They’d heat up, get soft, and the vacuum would make them collapse and the idle would hunt/surge. Replaced with new hose, surge gone.

NO it doesn't surge or pulsate on accelerateing , I have had it scanned for any codes by two reliable repair shops ,no faults come up . thanks for your help !!

Check rubber hoses around intake manifold. Mine did that with old collapsing hoses. They’d heat up, get soft, and the vacuum would make them collapse and the idle would hunt/surge. Replaced with new hose, surge gone.

Thanks !! that sounds like that could be my problem . I am betting that with the smoke test , it would not see that . I will check that out first thing !!

I will check that out when I check for the collasping vacuum hoses when it is hot and surging !! Thank You very much !!

Had a similar issue. I pulled the AC Delco plugs and wires and replaced the fuel filter with all Motorcraft parts. After that, I had no more problems.
Not sure if it was the plugs or the fuel filter, but it did the job. I will say that the fuel filter was really dirty and a had a lot of junk in it.
I hope this helps.

I haven't changed the fuel filter in awhile , i will do that !! Thanks !! everybody on this forum has been very helpful !! I really appreciate it !!

I hope this helps.
I will definately change the fuel filter . I did use Ford (Motorcraft) spark plugs when I changed them . Thanks for the help !!

I have a 1996 explorer 4.0L automatic 4x4 , surges at idle when engine is worn and when it is in drive . when engine is cold , everything is normal . I have changed spark plugs and wires , smoked twice twice for leaks , no leaks found . idle air control sensor changed , all 3 o2 sensors changed . After o2 sensors changed , runs slightly better but still surges. Any help would be appreciated !! Also could a sensor in the transmission

have you looked at the TPS (throttle position sensor)?

Thank you very much for your suggestion !! the hose from the pcv valve was collasping when it got warm !!! I Can't thank you enough !! I have been dealing with this problem for some time and I wasn't getting anywhere !! Everybody on this Forum has been Awesome !!!

Nice! Figured that was it. Mine drove me nuts. I wonder how many people replace their IAC before that damn hose....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 98 4.0 SOHC had that issue, and after doing smoke tests, replacing a bunch of parts. I finally had the intake manifold gaskets replaced and that resolved it !

Back