1996 Explorer XLT 4WD Transfer Case Issue | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer XLT 4WD Transfer Case Issue

nmdag

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Bought at 160,000 miles.
Drove from Vegas to Houston in 2WD with no 2nd gear.
Transmission rebuild.
Now at 190,000 miles, mostly city.

Transfer case used to function fine in 2WD, 4WD, and 4WD Low. Obviously I used 2WD for most of my driving, but I got to really like how it handled in 4WD, especially during the rain. Then one day I heard some crunchy, clunky, groany type noises from the area. Thought it was the tire rubbing against the wheel well as originally it only "appeared" while turning but eventually it wouldn't even go straight for more than a few yards. Figured out the problem went away when I put it in 2WD. Been driving it in 2WD ever since and sure enough it still won't go more than a few yards without sounding like it's imploding.

Can I rebuild the transfer case? Better to see if I can find one in a scrapyard? Maybe the fluid just went bad and isn't properly lubricated. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You're gonna need to rebuild that transfer case...
FYI never drive on asphalt in 4wd.

Heard mixed reports but never anything matter of fact. I've had several other AWD vehicles but they're full-time AWD not selectable. Not sure if Ford's setup can handle that. Guess not.

Also lol we're the same color! Love how the green looks with a snowy background!

Unfortunately AWD and 4WD aren't the same thing. AWD will use some variant of a center differential to allow the front and rear wheels to spin at different speeds (front and rear wheels dont follow the same path around turns)

Now our explorers are a bit interesting here, as they have auto 4wd. So there's a clutch that'll lock up when it detects excessive slip. However when you put it in 4Hi or 4Lo the clutch is locked and does not allow any slippage.

The reason for the different systems is the intended use. AWD is great for snowy climates, and generally unaware drivers. 4wd is great for offroading, durability, and unlike most AWD systems have low range. A benefit for both offroading as well as doing unusual work (pulling a tree down and so forth)

As you've found out, the explorers cant be driven in 4wd on the road. Not only does it waste gas and tear up the tires, it'll grenade something eventually.

Yeah man I love this color, over 20 years old and its ages better than me lol

Also I think you have a problem with your front differential here. The 96 uses an axle disconnect to disengage the front end when it's in 2wd.

If you need 4wd to handle better in the rain, I’m guessing you need better tires, or to slow down a little. Rebuilding these cases isn’t cheap, I’d look for a junkyard unit with a decent warrant.

Back