1996 Explorer XLT Radio question.. premium or not premium??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Explorer XLT Radio question.. premium or not premium???

m4dioses

Reaction score
So.. I bought an aftermarket HU for my wife's '96 and I went to isntall it tonight and the harness that SonicElectronix sent doesn't fit the connectors coming from inside the dash.. this is a non premium harness.

I was under the impression the "premium" sound system was the JBL set-up.. the set-up that we have in the car has the radio controls for the back seat (in the back of the center console) and it has the CD changer inside of the center console - so.. is this considered a premium sound system and I need the other harness?

I do have one additional connector that does NOT connect to my current harness but plugs into the back of the factory HU.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it was the premium sound it would say on the factory radio and/or the speaker grilles. The harness i got for mine had the wrong connectors too, i ended up just getting a wiring diagram and hard wiring the whole thing

Alright, hard wiring it is.. damn, wanted the easy way out. I don't want to pay $13 from the parts store or wait a week from eBay anyways.

just make sure you have a good wiring diagram, i killed my 1st radio cause the diagram was wrong

Back