1996 Explorer XLT | Start Issue

Kuya

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
Good evening all,
I currently own a 1996 Ford Explorer XLT. I came across this forum while trying to find a fix to a starter problem. I've read a lot of threads still not quite finding what I needed...
My wife decided to drive the truck low on gas and managed to park it at our home. We had a cold front come in that night and the next morning tried to start up the truck. Lights and regular sounds came on normally till I tried to turn over the engine, the sound of multiple clicks. Tried a few times to turn it over to no avail. Added 2 gallons of gas, still nothing. Decided maybe to jump the truck, still nothing. Thinking it's the starter or starter relay. I have a video/audio of the sound it makes if it helps narrow the search to the problem.
I don't know if it's relevant but when we lock it from the key fob, the lock sound/honk is more faint than before.
Please let me know if it's a doable fix (no lift) and cost if I take it to the shop.
I look forward to contributing and helping, with limited knowledge, to the forum!

Best,
Kuya

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First of all, this is not a fuel problem. Start with the simple things...like evaluating the condition of the battery and cables. How old is it? If you don't own a multimeter, take it to an auto parts store and have them load test it. Could be a weak cell. Seen it happen a number of times where they give out without warning and can't be jumped.

Your problem is battery/battery terminal related (guessing battery). How old is the battery? If around 5 years old it's due for replacement.

Walmart or Autozone will charge and test your battery. You could also have an electrical drain (like a light on) killing it overnight. But being a weather change, I would check the battery terminals for corrosion, then have the battery charged and load tested. I suggest a Ford battery, avoid any "Bronze" Economy lines.

Thank y'all for the prompt responses. I'll take out the battery tonight and take it to autozone around the corner. I'll keep y'all updated.

Another thing to check is corrosion between the positive cable wire and the terminal itself.

I had that problem, but mine would just click and everything dead after I turned the key.

Sorry for the late response. I replaced the battery and everything runs great. Thank y'all again!

Hope y'all have a happy new year!

Back