1996 Ford Explorer - Been Sitting. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer - Been Sitting.

dhmnuts

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer AWD
I have a 96 Explorer 5.0 AWD that has been sitting the past few months barley started. I want to get it back into shape. Have a few issues right now though. Battery is dead, gotta get a new one.

The interior has started to become moldy and have a small leak in the back. I was thinking about ripping out all the carpet, removing the steering wheel liner. Any suggestions really? Making this into **** around vehicle

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeah if the mold is bad then pulling out as much as possible is the best alternative. There's also some kind of mold killer spray that larger hardware stores stock, and likely the cause of the mold is excessive moisture so it would be good to air it out, use a fan to circulate some air through it or even better put a dehumidifier in it with the doors and hatch shut as much as allowable while still getting an extension cord in to power it.

The leak is probably from the window seal around the fixed rear windows. I had to redo both the driver's and the passenger side windows on mine...it's an easy fix, and takes about an hour from start to finish once you know what you're doing.

This thread had all the info I needed:

Leaking Cargo Window??

Alright I need some help. The car previously when it was on the road the alarm would randomly keep going off and couldnt start the vehicle or turn it off. Until randomly the key fob would work and unlock the car. So right now the key fob works on and off and the anti theft system is armed and won't allow me to start the vehicle, at least I believe thats the issue. How do I go about starting the truck? Disarm it? If so, how do I do that?

Actually I think the issue might just be a battery. Let me get that replaced and report back.

My OEM anti-theft would go off at random times, for no reason. I replaced the battery, and no issues like that again.

As for the keyless and anti-theft issue, that sounds like your RAP module is failing. Unplug it, and see if you can start it.

My OEM anti-theft would go off at random times, for no reason. I replaced the battery, and no issues like that again.

As for the keyless and anti-theft issue, that sounds like your RAP module is failing. Unplug it, and see if you can start it.
Where is that located?

Edit: Found it, just trying to unplug it now.

Unplugged these two. https://i.imgur.com/qyfnthP.png

Not sure if that's what I was suppose to unplug but alarm is still going off. Going to get a new battery tomorrow and test it out again unless anyone has any other ideas.

Plugged it back in used the keypad on the door to lock then unlock it. Disarmed the vehicle and it started. Sounded good. White smoke coming from the muffler I assume all of that is from sitting. Now I need to look for a new dipstick. The old one broke from the top and is wedged in the tube, visible. Need to get that out now.

White smoke from the exhaust could mean a blown head gasket. In my experience, when people stop driving a vehicle it's because there was something seriously wrong with it. You only hear, "it ran when a parked it".

White smoke from the exhaust could mean a blow head gasket. In my experience, when people stop driving a vehicle it's because there was something seriously wrong with it. You only hear, "it ran when a parked it".
If I recall correctly the vehicle was taken off the road in our family due to 1 getting a new car and I think there was something up with the ball joints.

Back