Jathen Van Fleet

Reaction score
City, State
Jackson
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996, Ford Explorer XLT
Callsign
Medic
Hello I can't seem to find engine bay specks for my 96 Ford Explorer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how hard or if it would be possible to replace my 4.0 V6 with a 1959 Chevy Impala 6 cylinder with power glide trans?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello I can't seem to find engine bay specks for my 96 Ford Explorer. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how hard or if it would be possible to replace my 4.0 V6 with a 1959 Chevy Impala 6 cylinder with power glide trans?
Measure interior length available underhood, measure engine overall length,

measure, measure, measure!

Buy a tape measure and use it till it breaks:)

Ok, you got me and I have to ask... “why would you want to power your truck with a 1959 six cylinder?”

(I appreciate the creativity, and your apparent mechanical abilities. But just wondering if there was a good story or something).

Good luck.

since i had a 1960 235 cid 6 in a c 10 panel truck while it was a good deal back then it certainly will not be satisfactory in your 96
my old truck weighed around 3000 lbs the explores about 4500 that engine only had around 95 to 125 hp and slip and slide pouerglide 2 speed
you have a real dog any if lucky you will get 10mpg tops all parts would need fabrication. ps pump bracelets dont even think about a/c
like i said i had a 60 with that engine a 65 with 230 a 99 exp 4l 5sp 03 and o4 auto loved the old trucks but would never think it would work in the explorer body . but this is just my 2cents anything can be put in anything it just takes time talent and above all money good luck

It´s your call but I don´t think it´s a good idea pal... It´s like trying to run Windows XP on a late ´80s IBM PC XT

Back