1996 Ford Explorer sport not going into reverse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer sport not going into reverse

Moonraiser

Reaction score
City, State
Prairie Village KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford explorer sport
I have a 1996 explorer as stated above, and a few months ago, I had a bolt fall out from under my dash. so I went online and looked around for a while and found out where it went, and tightened both bolts up there. BUT now
my car wont go into reverse. I have looked and both bolts are there, and the shifter seems to be loose.. I have no idea what it could be, maybe just a worn out cable? also while looking up there last time, I noticed I had a broken plastic white clip connected to the cable. I put a zip tie on there and that helped it show what gear I was in. since then, I had not had trouble with anything, except that a few months later it wouldn't go into park.. I need ideas? Thanks!

i forgot to mention that I did take the zip tie off AFTER the reverse problem started, so if anybody thinks that itd help to put it back on please let me know.

Go underneith with the car on, PARKING BREAK ENGAGED so you don't run yourself over and have someone step on the break. You can then manually go underneath and select the gear to be in... You'll see a cable going to an arm on the trans left side.

Do the lights come on in reverse? Maybe your trans reverse band is broken.

That white thing is just the shift indicator cable. Doesn't do anything beside pull the spring in the "PRND" assembly to indicate what gear it's in. If you really want the cable fits from F-150's as well as explorers. All the same size.

Back