1996 Ford Explorer Windows going Haywire | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Explorer Windows going Haywire

WMC99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Ford Explorer XL 4.0
Hi all! First post, and looking for some ideas on what is causing the power windows in my 96 Explorer to go down when the vehicle is placed in reverse or drive. I have done a quick search of the forum and have not come across this issue. The windows operate fine when the engine is off, or when the engine is running, and the vehicle is in park, but as soon as the vehicle is put in gear(automatic) the driver side window will inch its way down a little at a time. Even if I power the window back to the up position, the window will go back down on its own. This even occurs while driving down the road. Now here's where it gets even weirder. The wipers will at times also start working on their own, and the wiper control does not override the haywire wipers. I have a fully charged battery, and have installed a new wiper and window relay. This obviously did not solve the issue.
Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does your driver's window have the one-touch auto down feature? If so this is most likely a failure in your GEM module. The wiper delay and window auto-down functions cause their wiring to go through it.

I'd call some junkyards to see what they want for one, don't know which model years are compatible but Explorers are so common, it shouldn't be hard to find a '96 with one, or you could get the part # off yours and do some internet research on what years use that part #.

I know some people have successfully wired their window without the GEM to avoid replacing it (since a new one is probably over $200) but I've not seen anyone who rewired their wipers, though in theory you may be able to, obviously losing the window one-touch feature and all wiper delay (speed) except high and low, constant-on. You might even lose low, I don't know.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/e...r-side-power-window-1999-f150-gem-bypass.html

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/fix-gem-module-driver-window-problem-145689/

Does your driver's window have the one-touch auto down feature? If so this is most likely a failure in your GEM module. The wiper delay and window auto-down functions cause their wiring to go through it.

I'd call some junkyards to see what they want for one, don't know which model years are compatible but Explorers are so common, it shouldn't be hard to find a '96 with one, or you could get the part # off yours and do some internet research on what years use that part #.

I know some people have successfully wired their window without the GEM to avoid replacing it (since a new one is probably over $200) but I've not seen anyone who rewired their wipers, though in theory you may be able to, obviously losing the window one-touch feature and all wiper delay (speed) except high and low, constant-on. You might even lose low, I don't know.

https://www.f150online.com/forums/e...r-side-power-window-1999-f150-gem-bypass.html

Thank for all the good information! Much appreciated! You have me pointed in the right direction. Thanks again!!

Helpful information provided by J C, but the color of the wires don't match what I have in my 1996 Explorer 4.0 4-door.
Below are two links to the wiring in my Explorer. By using my links, can someone translate the wire colors in J C's links, to what I need to splice together to bypass the GEM Module in my Explorer? Replacing the GEM is not an option as far as I can see. There are just none available for sale that match my year and model.
My main issue is, when I place the transmission in reverse, the driver side front window goes down by itself. This also happens while driving. I'm planning on selling this car, and need to get this problem remedied. Appreciate any help I can get.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/muddyford/2011-01-30_224234_1121.pdf

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/muddyford/2011-01-30_224253_1122.pdf

Hope the links work.

I've pieced back together the F150 instruction pics from one of my links so the text on the left is legible, (their link to a full sized diagram doesn't work for me) but am referring to the diagrams you linked.

It looks like there are four parts to it. As far as I can tell, the wire colors are the same (if your linked diagrams are correct), or the one exception is whether to cut red or orange/white, to splice to the door switch tan/lt. blue.

1) Cut the "T/LB" wire going from the GEM and one touch down relay, to the window switch as shown on your linked 100-1 and an arrow "B" on it to your linked 100-2. Cut it at the door panel. Keep the end going to the switch and isolate the other end (wire nut, wire tape, etc it out of the way).

2) Cut the "R" (red) wire going to the window motor. This part I am not 100% sure about, their diagrams are horrific... might be easier for someone who started out learning these instead of proper schematics because I can't tell what a little dot junction is (might mean a connector) nor do they do a proper symbol on intersecting diagram lines that don't connect to each other. Anyway, the "O/W" wire appears to connect to the red wire, so you should be able to cut either of them and proceed to #3.

The only real difference compared to the diagram I've attached is that it shows the O/W wire going all the way to the motor instead of turning into a red wire. Keep the wire end going to the motor. Wire nut or tape the other end out of the way.

3) Connect T/LB from the switch (the wire you cut in #1) to the wire going to the window motor that you cut in #2.

4) Pull out the one touch down relay.

If I'm wrong and this doesn't work, return it all like you found it. ;)

If you don't have these wire colors it becomes a bit more complicated, but basically all you're doing is finding the left window switch wire that's live only when you push down on the switch, and one of the two wires connect to the motor, cutting both those wires and connecting them to each other, and putting the other ends you don't use, insulated from everything, out of the way.

tDxxrFs.png

I've pieced back together the F150 instruction pics from one of my links but am referring to the diagrams you linked. It looks like there are four parts to it. As far as I can tell, the wire colors are the same (if your linked diagrams are correct), or the one exception is whether to cut red or orange/white, to splice to the door switch tan/lt. blue.

1) Cut the "T/LB" wire going from the GEM and one touch down relay, to the window switch as shown on your linked 100-1 and an arrow "B" on it to your linked 100-2. Cut it at the door panel. Keep the end going to the switch and isolate the other end (wire nut, wire tape, etc it out of the way).

2) Cut the "R" (red) wire going to the window motor. This part I am not 100% sure about, their diagrams are horrific... might be easier for someone who started out learning these instead of proper schematics because I can't tell what a little dot junction is nor do they do a proper symbol on intersecting diagram lines that don't connect to each other. Anyway, the "O/W" wire appears to connect to the red wire, so you should be able to cut either of them and proceed to #3.

The only real difference compared to the diagram I've attached is that it shows the O/W wire going all the way to the motor instead of turning into a red wire. Keep the wire end going to the motor. Wire nut or tape the other end out of the way.

3) Connect T/LB from the switch (the wire you cut in #1) to the wire going to the window motor that you cut in #2.

tDxxrFs.png

Thank J C!!

I'll give that a shot.
I've pieced back together the F150 instruction pics from one of my links but am referring to the diagrams you linked. It looks like there are four parts to it. As far as I can tell, the wire colors are the same (if your linked diagrams are correct), or the one exception is whether to cut red or orange/white, to splice to the door switch tan/lt. blue.

2) Cut the "R" (red) wire going to the window motor. This part I am not 100% sure about, their diagrams are horrific... might be easier for someone who started out learning these instead of proper schematics because I can't tell what a little dot junction is nor do they do a proper symbol on intersecting diagram lines that don't connect to each other. Anyway, the "O/W" wire appears to connect to the red wire, so you should be able to cut either of them and proceed to #3.

tDxxrFs.png

@ J C ...

Okay, I got it done. So far, so good. However, with these intermittent problems, you cannot tell right away if the fix was successful or not. This morning it was acting up as soon as I placed the car in reverse. Right now it looks good!

Thanks again!!

Back