1996 Ford Ranger with a P0500 code. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Ford Ranger with a P0500 code.

salter

Reaction score
City, State
fitchburg ma
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 ford ranger 4x4 xlt
need some help...my check engine light is on and the code is p0500 speed sensor malfunction. i was told that this was on the rear axle. i replaced the sensor and it did not work. Is that sensor just for abs? if so were would i find the speed sensor. it is electronic but not digital. the truck is a 4x4 with a 4.0. Thanks for any help i can get with this.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there is also a speed sensor on the t-case right next to the driveshaft

For the 95 - 97 Explorers w/ Control Trac 4WD, the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is located on the Transfer Case (TC). For 98 and up the VSS was combined with the ABS sensor on the rear axle. This might be why you are confused about the sensor on the rear axle So, for your 96 Ranger, you probably have a problem with the VSS on the Transfer Case.

Also, be aware that on the Control Trac 4WD TC, there are also two driveshaft speed sensors that monitor the amount of slip between the front wheels and rear wheels. The driveshaft speed sensors are different than the VSS - you want the VSS located near the output shaft of the TC.

still not working

i replaced the speed sensor on the tc and still no speedometer. I picked up a repair manual but it does not have a fuse panel lay out and i don't have an owners manual could it be a bad fuse or do you have any suggestions that i can try next? Thanks

Back