1996 Fuel Filler Neck Conversion | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 Fuel Filler Neck Conversion

Sonic_Mikey

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT 4L 4x4
As some of you may or may not know, the 1996 Ex has its own one off version of the fuel filler neck that is not serviceable, available for purchase anymore or manufactured by any aftermarket companies (at least not up here in the Great White North). So this creates a dilemma if yours decides to pack it up and rot out, like mine recently decided to do.

There is a solution however! The 1997 2 piece filler neck is a straight replacement. It mounts perfectly to both the tank and the mounting hole (obviously).
You will need the following parts:

Spectra FN633
FN633_FRO_P04.jpg

Spectra FNH007
fnh007.jpg

About 2-3 feet of 3/4" rubber fuel line. I had to use heater hose since it was the only thing available.

***Finally, the gas cap needs to be from a 1997 as well. The 1996 is a screw type that will click endlessly once tight, but the new one is of a push and twist 1 click design.***

First, remove the old assembly. Pretty straight forward, 3 bolts at the top of the neck (doesn't matter if they snap like mine did), 2 quick disconnects at the tank for the fill and breather (squeeze the white tabs and pull).
Here is the old assembly:
IMG_20170111_153805_zpszas7wnxz.jpg

As you can see I tried cutting and inserting FN633 into the OE hose, but you cant since it looks like this:
IMG_20170111_154305_zps3d5ev3uv.jpg

Both the vent and filler neck are corrugated nylon-type material, and damn if i didnt try and force the new neck into it without much success.

Here is the fill section installed, I just used some self tappers since the OE bolts snapped. Notice the newer gas cap design:
IMG_20170111_154151_zpsepr0uwif.jpg

IMG_20170111_154119_zpstcjvrwft.jpg

Filler neck installed, all I had lying around was beige rocker guard lol:
IMG_20170111_153853_zpsnans1a8x.jpg

IMG_20170111_154103_zpsy8fwkdww.jpg

This is FNH007 and the 3/4 hose installed in the OE position:
IMG_20170111_153955_zps1m2x9chf.jpg

And finally we reach the tank. Nothing needs to be done in order to get either hose on, just push on and clamp. I used 2 for the fill hose just for piece of mind:
IMG_20170111_154017_zpscuz1ozji.jpg

And thats it! It took longer to get the parts and figure out what to do than to actually complete the job itself. I hope this helps!

Nice mod, but the radiator hose bothers me - A small problem is the hose can start to dissolve and enter the tank. Another major problem is certain rubbers build up static electricity and can create an explosion. Fuel hoses are made of nitrile rubber. They are also designed with special electrical properties as discussed below. section 3.3.4

http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/trans/doc/2003/wp29grsg/TRANS-WP29-GRSG-84-inf02e.pdf

Just to clarify, the main filling hose (Spectra FNH007) is fuel rated and not a radiator hose. That hose is listed as a direct OE replacement for a '97. The only coolant hose is used for the vent pipe, which will be swapped out as soon as I can find rubber fuel line big enough.

Just to clarify, the main filling hose (Spectra FNH007) is fuel rated and not a radiator hose. That hose is listed as a direct OE replacement for a '97. The only coolant hose is used for the vent pipe, which will be swapped out as soon as I can find rubber fuel line big enough.
Ok, good we cleared that up for others who may attempt this. Some may just cut corners and use two radiator hoses! I looked at the first pic and the hose looked relatively narrow and I thought it was the return one!

Back