1996 Heater Core Replacement

buldozr90

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 V6 AWD
Heater Core replacement

I have a 1996 explorer that the heater has started blowing steam out of the vents and you can smell coolant from the inside, i know this is the heater core. Does anyone know of any write ups or walkthroughs for this? i found one for a 1st Gen explorer but i know that is different. any help would be great, i am just hoping this is something i can fix rather quickly.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 1996 explorer that the heater has started blowing steam out of the vents and you can smell coolant from the inside, i know this is the heater core. Does anyone know of any write ups or walkthroughs for this? i found one for a 1st Gen explorer but i know that is different. any help would be great, i am just hoping this is something i can fix rather quickly.

Not good news......:eek:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94489&highlight=Heater+Core+replacement

Mike.

Thanks for the reply and link...i wish i had an older explorer as they look much easier to fix! guess i will start on it this next weekend.

I have the Same Problem 1996 Explorer 4x4 4.0

Any tips or tricks to make this job easier? 1st gen was so simple! What happened to the 2nd gen? Do i really need to pull the enitre instrument panel and dash?

buldozr90 - did you replace your's yet. Let me know how it went or if you found any write-ups or step by steps that might help!

Thanks-Rach

Back