1996 stx 4x4 4.0L to 5.0 conversion questions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 stx 4x4 4.0L to 5.0 conversion questions.

Wauk262

Reaction score
City, State
wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
96' stx blacked out
hi im new here and ive been reading all the posts about doing this swap i just have a few questions that have not been answered yet.

it sounds like the easiest thing is to get a donor explorer and swap everything over but i dont want the AWD so would my transfercase bolt to a explorer tranny? also what about a 1995 mustang 5.0 with a 5speed as a donor? is the mustang motor the same size in front at the assessories cause some say that its harder to put a mustang motor in and you have to move the radiator out and cut the support and what not.

Any imput would be great.
also i plan on installing shortened dana 60s with front leaf conversion, a np205t-case on a tremec 5spd, a body lift, twinstick with front and rear lockers, a snorkel and a blower and sitting on 36's to 38's for serious mudding there are awsome trails in Wisconsin but you need a bulit proof set up and that sounds good to me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site Wauk...

Sounds like it'll be a nice truck. Someone will pipe up. I'm sure that if you do a search or two you'll find where someone else has done the 5.0 conversion.

welcome

thanks

so im also looking for a donor explorer 1996

If you are serious about the trans TC and heavy off road use, do this.

You will need a GEM module from a 2WD or AWD Explorer of your year range. The AWD GEM module is identical to any 2WD same year truck, it's the same part. The 4WD GEM that you have is for the electronic 4WD, it will give you a 4WD flashing dash light. Disconnect the 4WD module at the time of the swap, it's gray, underneath the GEM module.

Keep the OBDII system for a 96/97 302 Explorer, it is far superior to any carburetor, or the old Mustang EECIV junk. That means that you need the whole set of Explorer 302 external parts, that's why you get a donor truck. You need the engine harness, all front accessories, the oil pan and radiator from a V8 or SOHC Explorer. The parts are easy to come by, and they are short like the 94/95 Mustang 302's, clearing the radiator.

Basically make it a 96 302 Explorer, the 50oz. flywheel is very important(same as 86-95 Mustang). Match that to your trans, starter gear needs.

You will need a flasher to program out the automatic trans functions, so that the engine light stays off. Feel free to do what you want to in the engine for your application, the PCM can handle it with proper programming. Good luck,

Back