1996 with only 37,x.. miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 with only 37,x.. miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's a cool find. I'm not particularly crazy about the setup but it looks nice and clean.

Yeah, anybody who wants a clean 2nd gen should be all over this. Most 2nd gens are closer to 200,000+ miles by now :D especially a 1996

I'd be getting a loan if it was AWD and V8

37,000 miles could be really good or really bad. I'm guessing that this vehicle was well taken care of, but it could have also sat for years. When a vehicle sits, the fluids settle, things rust or corrode, lines get clogged, etc. Are the owners old? If so, I wouldn't be worried, they probably didn't drive it much. But if the owner is yound, I'd be a little suspicious. Ask for some maintenence records, take it for a drive, and if all seems well, take it! It's not too often you find a gem like that.

And also, because it's only a V6 with 2WD, I'd offer $5000. Just say "I have $5000 dollars in my pocket right now, and it's yours if we make a sale right now". That's how my dad bought most of our vehicles, including my Explorer.

With a name like Kenneth I would guess the owner is young. However it could have been bought from an elderly couple. It could also have been driven short distances.

Looking at the pictures I doubt the odo was turned back.
Oh yeah, no rust here in Georgia :D well not much. Mud will get ya some surface rust

looks super clean, but how many dry starts has it had over those 37,000 miles? vehicles don't like to sit for long periods of time. seals dry out, internals rust. interesting find, but i sure wouldn't pay $6,000 for it.

on the subject of low mileage vehicles, ever watch Mecum auctions on TV? they usually have a few vehicles that have unbelievably low miles (like maybe a '76 Mercury with 47 miles on it) how the heck does this happen? did some one buy it in 1976 and put it in a plastic bag for 37 years thinking it would be worth a ton of money someday? blows my mind.

looks super clean, but how many dry starts has it had over those 37,000 miles? vehicles don't like to sit for long periods of time. seals dry out, internals rust. interesting find, but i sure wouldn't pay $6,000 for it.

on the subject of low mileage vehicles, ever watch Mecum auctions on TV? they usually have a few vehicles that have unbelievably low miles (like maybe a '76 Mercury with 47 miles on it) how the heck does this happen? did some one buy it in 1976 and put it in a plastic bag for 37 years thinking it would be worth a ton of money someday? blows my mind.

Pretty much.. a few years back someone sold an all original 1970 Chevelle SS 454 Cowl induction on ebay that only had 26 original miles on it.. they bought 2, drove one, parked the other in a climate controlled storage on jackstands, removed all fluids and aired down the tires.. it sold for right at 500K(not a bad investment for a car that was like 2700 bucks new)

I know some people that do that just for the investment purposes.. Buy 2 of them, keep one, store the other... A few of them collect cars like that just to keep that piece of true american history alive..
take now for instance... if you stored a 2013 mustang GT for 40 years and try to sell it.. it will be worth almost nothing, thats why they say "they dont build them like they used to"

Pretty much.. a few years back someone sold an all original 1970 Chevelle SS 454 Cowl induction on ebay that only had 26 original miles on it.. they bought 2, drove one, parked the other in a climate controlled storage on jackstands, removed all fluids and aired down the tires.. it sold for right at 500K(not a bad investment for a car that was like 2700 bucks new)

I know some people that do that just for the investment purposes.. Buy 2 of them, keep one, store the other... A few of them collect cars like that just to keep that piece of true american history alive..
take now for instance... if you stored a 2013 mustang GT for 40 years and try to sell it.. it will be worth almost nothing, thats why they say "they dont build them like they used to"

propbably true. besides, 40 years from now we'll all be flying around in hover craft like the Jetson's.

Last month I bought a 1996 Explorer XLT v8 2WD with 67,x.. for $2900. The young man's aunt died a few years ago and gave it to him. He was attached to it but needed the money to pay for college. The inside is immaculate! The tag in the front window from Ford of Santa Monica regarding the last oil change says "next change due by 2/6/09 or 69,000k." I was concerned about the sensitivity, I guess I'd call it, in the steering, which is the issue that lead me here. The L/R upper control arms, L/R lower ball joints and front shocks were replaced in '08 (at 64,x..). I am in no way a mechanic, but my Grandpa taught me if I "don't know how to fix it, at least know what's wrong with it. You're just a girl and your gonna get swindled sooner or later." I started with the alignment, and noticed a major difference. My mechanic told me everything just needs to settle, being it hasn't been driving much since the front end work.

Anyway, I didn't intend my 1st post to be a novel. The thread caught my eye and mechanic or not, I think my Grandpa would be proud. I just can't put my mascara on when I'm on the freeway (I'm just kidding :)).

I'm diggin' the floor mats. :cool: I wish my '96 was that clean, the low miles help too.

...... I was concerned about the sensitivity, I guess I'd call it, in the steering, which is the issue that lead me here. The L/R upper control arms, L/R lower ball joints and front shocks were replaced in '08 (at 64,x..). ........I started with the alignment, and noticed a major difference. .......
Welcome Kimmarie.:)

If the steering was more sensitive than usual, it's probably
because the caster was lessened a bit when the suspension
parts were installed. Since an alignment gave it better feel,
I'd say you're OK.

That's a super buy for a V8 with that low mileage.

Back