1996 XLT with climate control problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1996 XLT with climate control problems.

Mooney Carl

Reaction score
City, State
IE California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
My Explorer climate control will only provide AC when the selector is set to AC/MAX and there is not temperature control. Only max cold regardless of where the temp control is set.

When the climate control is set to any other setting it will blow HOT air only regardless of where the Temp control is set.

I replaced the selector switch and everything is exactly the same. The Temp selector does appear to be working because you can hear the mixing door motor run when you turn it from hot to cold etc.

Does this system have a tempature sensor that controls the mixing door position based on ambient air temp?

Thanks for your ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

one of my problems is this. I too only get cold air on max. although the other settings don't necessarily blow HOT air for me, more of a unsatisfying "cool" that takes the edge off the heat but is not that comfortable.

Likely a broken blend door. Lots of info on this if you search.

blend door or doors?

Is there more than one blend door for a system that can be adjusted to different temps for the passenger and driver? I have searched on blend door and they all refer to one door.

Back