1997 4.0 SOHC Sport Trac Won't start after stalling | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 4.0 SOHC Sport Trac Won't start after stalling

geoper616

Reaction score
City, State
Fenton Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0 SOHC Sport Trac
I have a 1997 4.0 SOHC that stalls all the time when idleing. Sometimes it won't start back up until it sits awhile. The check engine code is 0118 - 'Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input'. The coolant temp sensor has been changed. The code was cleared but came back after sensor was changed. It hesitates at idle with brake on, but going the same RPM while moving it doesn't hesitate or stall . (Like in a traffic jam) I have to double foot it and keep 1000 RPM on to keep it from stalling with the brake on. Got any ideas what I can do to fix this? :confused:

Geoper616

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

do a search! your IAC (idle air controller) needs to be cleaned.

Tried that... Bought a new one and problem was still there. My wife has a 97 Explorer so I swaped hers for mine thinking that maybe the new one was bad, her car didn't have that problem after I put my old one in her car and mine still did with hers in my car. I also checked the wiring voltage and it was OK. A mechanic unplugged the IAC sensor and the hesitation was different from mine.

has the engine been weak on power lately? how many miles on the truck?

There was a Sport Trac in '97?

The check engine code is 0118 - 'Engine Coolant Temperature Circuit High Input'. The coolant temp sensor has been changed. The code was cleared but came back after sensor was changed.

Did you by chance change the wrong sensor.......FYI......there is one for the gauge and one for the computer.......then again I could be wrong as I have the 4.0L ohv engine.

Aloha, Mark

No, the engine has not been weak on power. There is 130,000 miles on the engine, but it was rebuilt about a year ago. It had that problem before the rebuild and after it. We were really surprised, we thought it would go away. The vehicle is a Sport with control Trac. Does that mean Sport Trac?
It has 2 doors. The book said change the right bank sensor, so that's what I did. Could it have been the wrong one? By the way, I really appreciate you guys answering me. Thanks.

Back