Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
Me and my Wife had a funeral to go to (holiday weekends are not good times for funerals) over the weekend. This is the longest trip that we made since I fixed the left side timing chain and install manual tensioners repair in the white over graphite 1997 with a 4.0 SOHC. Right before we left I was checking the fluids and notice that the back of the brake master cylinder was leaking all over the brake booster. Not soaking wet, but wet. We left the Huntsville AL GMA Saturday after filling up. We paid $4.08 a gallon and it would only hold $65- at the time. It had a little in it. We headed east in a direction where there are no interstates. Most of the driving was on highways that go town to town for 15 to 25 miles apart. 220 miles later we stopped for gas again at a Walmart in north central Georgia and bought gas there for $4.29 a gallon. I filled the truck up the way I did before I left Alabama so that I could calculate our MPG. I just got 10 gallons crammed back into it. That is 22 miles to the gallon. We were running with no Air Conditioning and the windows mostly all the way down. Being a white vehicle it didn't feel blistering hot like when driving the blue '97. On the way back we came back Interstate and highways when we could VIA Chattanooga. We didn't calculate the return trip but I bet with the windows down running 70 the MPG would probably be less from all of the drag that the windows being open would create. We now have about 25K since the engine repair. Yesterday I installed a rebuilt master cylinder. I think I will change the oil Saturday a.m.
97wgmc.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think 20mpg is not hard to do with the SOHC if you're driving easy and not too fast. I got 20mpg with my 93 OHV on an 1100 mile trip, my mom and I went to SD. Coming home was way worse because we were rushing, and my aunt was with us, and her 200lbs of luggage and golf clubs etc.

The 3.7 NA engine is the one I dream of, that gets 30mpg in most of the later Fords they put it in. These 2nd gen's weigh a similar amount to late F150's, Explorers, and the Transit van.

them sohcs get pretty decent economy highway imo! with my 31s 2" lift on mixed driving i get 17 average and somewhere around 20-21 highway

I see 21ish in my SOHC with a full size lightbar, and 22-23ish in the 5.0, no bar

I get like 20 on the highway and like 10 on the weekends

Window up? or down?
@donalds Beer makes the mileage worse ;)

Back