1997 4.0L V6 OHV Shakes my whole suv | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 4.0L V6 OHV Shakes my whole suv

_sn95_

Reaction score
City, State
South Gate, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer Sport 2WD
When i am driving and i come to a stop my Explorer shakes super hard, it's idling rough. I don't know why, anybody have any ideas. I like to fix everything myself and i have big plans for this car. If i can get it to run nicely im gonna keep the original engine. I was thinking about swapping the engine to a 2jz GTE or 1jz. I'm tryin to tow a sn-95 and since i heard you can build tons of torque with a jz i thought about swapping it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 sport has the ohv 4.0L I see
You likely have a dead miss, one or more cylinder(s) is not firing
Is your check engine light on?

No, i just changed my sparkplugs 2 days ago and she wasn't doing it until today. She shakes a lot when I am not moving and she's warm.

Are you positive you got the wires on in the right order? Crack a plug putting them in?

Yeah im positive i did them 1 at a time

I'd pull all of your plugs and check them before you start tearing into anything else.

Fosho thanks

Yes if it was fine before you did the plugs and wires and now its acting up...check the plugs and wires again.
Some of the cheaper wires sets are no good right out of the box.......

Bad plug??
Even being new.
Put a reader on it see which cylinder is not firing

If you have a misfiring cylinder, you will have the "CHECK ENGINE" light on, and the code will even tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

It was doing it before I changed the plugs, and then i changed them and it was fine until yesterday, i used Platinum Motorcraft Sparkplugs. I don't have a check engine light. But then again the dashboard lights don't work completely. She was overheating before i changed the sparkplugs. I changed the watet pump and it kept overheating and then i changed the sparkplugs and it kept overheating so i removed the thermostat 2 days later and then it started shaking.

If you have a misfiring cylinder, you will have the "CHECK ENGINE" light on, and the code will even tell you which cylinder is misfiring.

NOT ALWAYS like for example if it is in the ignition the the computer can only determine which cylinder(s) is misfiring by using the timing of the engine and inputs from the cam sensor to point to the miss. This can take several drive cycles and may never show up at all. Also if an injector is plugged but still firing the computer would have no idea. Not all misfires are identified by the PCM

Overheating is not good
How hot did it get?
You may have blown a head gasket or worse
You should:

Pull codes from PCM
Check oil
Check coolant
You are looking for signs of a bad head gasket like water/oil mixing, loss of coolant, loss of oil shaking engine etc
Pull spark plugs and look for the cylinder(s) with the issue

I mean there is steam coming out the engine from the oil cap and water pump

Steam coming out of the water pump?

It used to, i changed it andnow it doesn't. The waterpump was cracked before.

How many times did you overheat it in total?

if you have steam coming out of the oil fill you have coolant in the oil cracked head s or bad head gasket
roscoe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Almost every day for the past 2 weeks she's heated up.

Back