1997 4r70w installed into 1996 AWD Xplr | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 4r70w installed into 1996 AWD Xplr

Lancelotlink

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer AWD
So, my transmission in my 5.0 1996 AWD Xplorer finally went with 198,000 miles on it. I got a great deal on a 4r70w from a 1997 fleet vehicle with 96,000 miles on it and all service records from a friend of mine who owns a salvage yard. I dropped the old transmission this past weekend and installed the new one. Everything seemed to bolt up exactly the same except I had to use the wiring harness from the new transimission since the 1997 trani had a different connector style on the sensor located on the shift lever (shift position sensor?). Anyways, I installed the trani, flushed the old fluid out of the transmission cooler and filled it to the correct levels with good trani fluid.

However, when I took it for a test drive here are the results:

Reverse: Works fine.
Drive: Will not shift out of 1st gear. (At least, i think it's 1st. Could be 2nd.)
D2: Shifts fine from first to second gear.
D1: Shifts fine from first to second gear.

No 3rd gear or Overdrive even if I start off in D2 and shift up into Drive. I think this could be Limp Mode?

I have a friend with a code scanner that I'm going to try and borrow this weekend but wanted to get some opinions/advice from you xplorer guru's first.

So, I'm thinking that the wiring is slightly different between the 1996 4R70W and the 1997 4R70W. Is anybody aware of this difference or have transmission wiring schematics that can verify this? Suggestions? Thoughts?

Any and all help is very appreciated!

Well, while researching multiple resources on the internet I stumbled accross one piece of information that says the mlps or shift position sensor from a 1997 4R70W is not compatible with a 1996 because the 1996 uses a different computer set up. Apparently the 1996 mlps is an analog sensor and the 1997 is a digital sensor...thus the different connectors etc.

Can anybody verify this or has experience with a similar issue?

It has different wiring and sensors

Back