• Register Today It's free!

1997 4X4 XLT Explorer

jlppimb

Reaction score
City, State
Youngstown, Oh
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
So my Explorer has been draining the battery about every 3 days. Not my daily driver anymore so I was able to get to that. After checking fuses, came to the conclusion its the GEM module. Part number on it is F77B-14B205-BD. Does the module need flashed again? Just replaced? Found 1 on eBay but the last letter is a C instead of a D. Would that matter? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't have a list in my mind of the top things that might cause parasitic drain loss but the usual like frayed wires comes to mind. What makes you think it's the GEM? I'm wondering if you unplugged it for the 3 days and still had the battery drain, wouldn't that indicate something else is the fault? Then again, maybe unplugging it would disable the circuit causing the drain too even if it wasn't the GEM... but it seems like if you unplug it and still have the drain, you've ruled out the GEM.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but are you sure the battery isn't bad?

it is a leaky diode in your altenator have a mech put a current meter in series with the red wire on the to the altenator A__here__________W if it reads curent above 120 milliamps the diode package in the alt is leaking. learned from experience. i will bet it will read 5 amps!

^ If it reads as high as 5A, won't the whole alternator feel warm to hot?

Don't have a list in my mind of the top things that might cause parasitic drain loss but the usual like frayed wires comes to mind. What makes you think it's the GEM? I'm wondering if you unplugged it for the 3 days and still had the battery drain, wouldn't that indicate something else is the fault? Then again, maybe unplugging it would disable the circuit causing the drain too even if it wasn't the GEM... but it seems like if you unplug it and still have the drain, you've ruled out the GEM.

Sorry if it's a stupid question but are you sure the battery isn't bad?

Battery is brand new. Have a friend who owns a car audio shop, they did a battery drain test and while pulling fuses determined it was probably the GEM module causing the drain. I never asked what fuse number it was though, probably should have!

While brand new battery would seem like a good thing, I don't know how many times you can drain a battery flat before you kill it. What I'm getting at is if your battery only a month old, draining every three days, 10 full discharges...

Yes ask the friend, at best it reduces time spent looking or at worse the lead doesn't pan out.

While it's hard to speculate, completely draining a battery in 3 days is a fair amount of power loss, if it were the GEM itself I would expect some severe damage that kept the vehicle from working. Checking the fuses yourself shouldn't be hard though, take a multimeter set to 10A current measurement range and take out a fuse at a time completing the circuit across the fuse socket contacts with the meter probes. Be careful not to touch the wrong areas, shorting whole battery current from a hot lead to ground w/o a fuse there could produce quite a spark. You might need needle tips for the probes, don't recall if the fuse boxes' contacts are exposed enough to get a normal sized meter probe tip in there or not.

I'm just not ready to assume the GEM itself needs replaced or reprogrammed. If it's shorting out I'd think the fuse would blow, or it would be physically damaged and part of the vehicle wouldn't function if it ran at all. Seems more likely the wiring to it has a fault if current leak is through that circuit, or something the GEM controls has gone haywire and disconnecting the GEM disables whatever it is. I could be wrong but IMO far too often people point at the GEM, when something else is at fault.

I'd still try unplugging the GEM to see if you can still measure significant current drain from the battery with a multimeter and while you're at it, let us know what the current drain rate is with the battery near(er) full charge level.

Also as popscat mentioned, there's the alternator. Disconnecting that should similarly show you if the battery drain stops.

While brand new battery would seem like a good thing, I don't know how many times you can drain a battery flat before you kill it. What I'm getting at is if your battery only a month old, draining every three days, 10 full discharges...

Yes ask the friend, at best it reduces time spent looking or at worse the lead doesn't pan out.

While it's hard to speculate, completely draining a battery in 3 days is a fair amount of power loss, if it were the GEM itself I would expect some severe damage that kept the vehicle from working. Checking the fuses yourself shouldn't be hard though, take a multimeter set to 10A current measurement range and take out a fuse at a time completing the circuit across the fuse socket contacts with the meter probes. Be careful not to touch the wrong areas, shorting whole battery current from a hot lead to ground w/o a fuse there could produce quite a spark. You might need needle tips for the probes, don't recall if the fuse boxes' contacts are exposed enough to get a normal sized meter probe tip in there or not.

I'm just not ready to assume the GEM itself needs replaced or reprogrammed. If it's shorting out I'd think the fuse would blow, or it would be physically damaged and part of the vehicle wouldn't function if it ran at all. Seems more likely the wiring to it has a fault if current leak is through that circuit, or something the GEM controls has gone haywire and disconnecting the GEM disables whatever it is. I could be wrong but IMO far too often people point at the GEM, when something else is at fault.

I'd still try unplugging the GEM to see if you can still measure significant current drain from the battery with a multimeter and while you're at it, let us know what the current drain rate is with the battery near(er) full charge level.

Also as popscat mentioned, there's the alternator. Disconnecting that should similarly show you if the battery drain stops.

Thanks for the input. Ill give your ideas a try. When I said brand new, I mean brand new. It has been disconnected, never drained down at all!

Keep in mind that the gem will stay awake for upwards of 45 minutes before going into low drain sleep mode and that opening a door or taking out and reinstalling the fuse will wake it up again. Dont let that mess you up!

Back