1997 5.0 Coolant Leak | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 5.0 Coolant Leak

pts84

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Ford Explorer 5.0
Hello all. I am at a loss on my 1997 Explorer 5.0.

A couple of weeks ago I got back home from a grocery run and noticed a large leak coming from under my vehicle. The source of the leak is not visible from the top of the motor. I assumed it was the water pump, so I replaced it. This was not the problem. I have also replaced the thermostat housing gasket and inspected the housing. This was not the problem. There are no hoses leaking. I have inspected 4 of the freeze plugs and did not see a leak.

When you are underneath the car, the leak drips from ABOVE the oil filter and coolant hoses that go into it, onto the oil pan, and down onto the ground. Again, this is a big leak and occurs only under pressure. The car has never overheated, though I have not let it run long enough to drain all of the coolant out.

IF this is the timing cover gasket or intake gasket, how can I find out? What else could it be? Thank you in advance.

You have the early style oil filter adapter with coolant passage built in , I remember a few threads on here about it leaking

Yes. I have the coolant pass through on the oil filter, but the leak is above that, it appears.

Back