• Register Today It's free!

1997 5.0 exhaust leak

Ponyman460

Reaction score
City, State
Jupiter, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 5.0 XLT
Bought new gaskets the other day, and this morning I decided to tackel the gasket swap.

When I removed the (pass side) plast wheel liner extension, I noticed some dark discoloration (exhaust) around one of the tubes. This tells me that it is not the gasket, and that the manifold itself is bad.

The question I have is this:

Been looking on ebay for some manifolds and I have found the tubular ones like are already on the truck, and the cast steel manifolds. is there a difference? is there any performance to be had either way?

Thanks in advance!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The performance is better for the cast manifolds over the stamped ones, however if you really want an increase, get Torque Monster Headers.

www.torquemonsterheaders.com

Click the registry link in my sig for more info.

The performance is better for the cast manifolds over the stamped ones, however if you really want an increase, get Torque Monster Headers.

www.torquemonsterheaders.com

Click the registry link in my sig for more info.

you mean tubular over the cast right?

and the TM's are very nice, but out of my price range for the truck.....:D

Ok, go with the second one. They are cast iron, a bit of an improvement in design so they flow a little better than the first ones. Plus, they don't blow out from what I have seen. Do you have an internal or external EGR?

You can look up FMS headers as another alternative.

There is a guy on here selling a set of TMH's for $500 if your interested for a lower price....

Ok, go with the second one. They are cast iron, a bit of an improvement in design so they flow a little better than the first ones. Plus, they don't blow out from what I have seen. Do you have an internal or external EGR?

You can look up FMS headers as another alternative.

There is a guy on here selling a set of TMH's for $500 if your interested for a lower price....

dont know if it is internal or external....late 96 build if that tells you anything. I think I am going to go with the ones you reccomended...but not the TMH's....they are still a bit out of my league

Since you have the internal EGR on your 96, you will have to get the EGR fitting welded up on your replacement manifold. Its no big deal, anybody with a welder should be able to handle it. Its well worth the effort. BTW, weld the steel fitting up, not the manifold, its cast and doesn't like to be welded. You can weld up the fitting and thread it in no problem.

honestly, I am considering pulling the manifold off, and welding them up......

might do one and see how it works, and if it does then I will yank the other one.

I have the same problem as Ponyman , they leak on both side .

Is welding the crack will be a good move or they will crack again ?? mine last 200k km so if it can do the job another 200k km , it will be a good way to save money .

I already have my gasket , fel pro 1415 and a Mig .

This is where they crack

attachment.php

Notice it is right where it changes from a stainless material, to a cast material---Why???

attachment.php

Would a welding shop be able to repair the stock manifold? There is a real good welding shop near where I live and they work affordably for me because the company I work for spends big $$$ there.

If not, are the all-cast manifolds an exact replacement for the manifolds on my '97?

Its not the quality of the welds- its two different metals being joined- they wont fuse together. Plus look at how the manifold necks down on some of the ports- terrible for flow.

The cast manifolds are a direct replacement from and for any 5.0 Explorer. Watch ebay, you can usually get a pair fairly cheap. I'd replace em both or get some Torque Monster Headers.

Back