• Register Today It's free!

1997 controltrac no 4wd ???

james d atkins

Reaction score
City, State
madisonville
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 xlt
I have a 1997 controltrac but 4wd does not seem to work. The dash lights Auto 4Hi 4Lo all work and do not flash, I can hear the transfer case shift and it does go into 4 Lo but front wheels still do not engage ??? Where do I start ??? Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lets start here, what makes you say the front wheels never engage?
Did you know that with an open front differential all of the power will go to only one front wheel? not both
Many people think their 4wd is not working when only one front tire spins

The next place to look see would be to check the level and color of the transfer case fluid. Drain and re fill
Any plastic bits in the fluid?
The control trac t cases had nylon tabs that come apart and the control trac stops working.........
this t case gets Mercon III / dex fluid or Ford transfer case fluid ONLY

Did you know that with an open front differential all of the power will go to only one front wheel? not both
Technically, in a rare scenario like a perfectly FLAT and EVEN dirt trail, I believe the power is almost evenly distributed to all 4 wheels, no ?

no
limited slip in the rear axle helps send the 70% power to both rear tires until there is slippage, then it lets go quite easily
The front diff is open so the power is like water or electricity, the 30% going up front (some will say 65/35 split) will ALWAYS follow the path of least resistance
This transfer case and AWD system is viscous clutch based clutch = slippage, slippage = heat, heat = power wasted
However they rock and roll under MOST driving conditions, wet, snow, dirt the AWD is stellar.... but it is no 50/50 4wd

no
The front diff is open so the power is like water or electricity, the 30% going up front (some will say 65/35 split) will ALWAYS follow the path of least resistancen
Yeah....understand when a wheel loses traction - all power is sent to that wheel....but my example (lets stick with front wheels) was that as long as they both have equal resistance / traction ---flat and even surface--- isn't power/torque sent to front axle EVENLY distributed to each of the front wheels ....in that scenario?

sure but its still not a 50 50 split so 65-70% of the power is ALWAYS sent to the rear axle, whereas only 35-30% is sent up front, that will never change with the 4404 AWD
The result is never a time where all 4 tires get equal traction

Unlike a true 4x4

So this is why with the 5.0 AWD once the rear axle breaks loose (loses traction) you mine as well be driving RWD truck... the AWD will not save you in that situation........ask me how I know (flipped one on its side in the ice)
I have never owned a AWD since, every 5.0 here gets a 4406

The more I read about the 4406, the more I want one...

Lets start here, what makes you say the front wheels never engage?
Many people think their 4wd is not working when only one front tire spins

The next place to look see would be to check the level and color of the transfer case fluid. Drain and re fill
Any plastic bits in the fluid?
The control trac t cases had nylon tabs that come apart and the control trac stops working.........
this t case gets Mercon III / dex fluid or Ford transfer case fluid ONLY
Thanks for the info I don't get on the computer much during the week I am going to drain fluid and see what comes out with it this weekend...I don't get any front wheel spin wet grass, mud, loose gravel that's why I think I'm not getting any front wheel action Thanks again I'll post back what I find

The ONLY way to test if the 4x4/control trac is working is to put the vehicle on a lift with all four tires off the ground, put it in gear, let off the brake and have someone watch front and back tires for motion.
My 97' OHV will not spin the tires on grass, or gravel road, in 4auto, 4H, or 4L. In 4L, if you MAT the throttle, it does launch like a scalded dog, even on the loosest soil!!!

Forscan could help. It could read the front and rear speed sensor. Those are critical because the difference sets clutch engagement. It can also tell you % clutch engagement. If you put the rear wheels on something slippery you can see if it is commanding the clutch.
Check if you have any voltage to the brown wire on the transfer case. That is the clutch that locks the front wheels.
Eliminate electrical before mechanical.

The 4.0 transfer case is 4405 and it´s not a viscous awd transfer case, but electronically switched clutch that can lock the front and rear driveshafts together.

The 4.0 transfer case is 4405 and it´s not a viscous awd transfer case, but electronically switched clutch that can lock the front and rear driveshafts together.
Definitely need to check relays and brown wire sounds like Thanks for the info

Back