• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer 4x4 Engine Swap

nicndar

Reaction score
City, State
Quantico, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 F-250 and Explorer
Hey...anybody got a comment or two about converting my 1997 Explorer 4x4 4.0L SOHC to a 2001 engine 4.0L SOHC. My original motors harmonic balancer snapped off with the crankshaft attached. It is cheaper to install a used motor I got out of a 2001 with only 5k miles on it..almost new..I had only 97k on my 97 ironically...My 2001 motor is complete with wireharness and all except the A/C and Power Steering pump. Will I need to swap the engine computer also? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 and 2001 should be identical if not very close. Thier may be minute differences but it shouldn't be anything you can't work around. More than likely you will need the computer, If the computer # is different between the two the engine will not run. If you already have the motor swap them out. the 2001s don't have as many of the issues as the older motors (cam chain etc). To rebuild your engine you're going to have to pull it out anyway so might as well put a new one in. There will be less down time.

Engine Upgrade Continue

Thanks for the insight...so from you experience if the motor starts should not be a problem...all I get from Ford is that I need to change the computer because they are two different year models...do you think I will damage anything if I attempt to start it with the 97 compter vice using a 01. Thanks again for the feedback.

Nothing will be damaged, the motor will not start with the wrong computer.

Swap the motor and rebuild the old one and sell it or just sell it as is.

Back