1997 Explorer 5.0L, replaced Fuel pump 3 times, same problem, I need HELP!! | Page 10 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer 5.0L, replaced Fuel pump 3 times, same problem, I need HELP!!

Just an update....

Couldnt figure out what the problem was so I took it to a buddy of mine and he will fix it on trade for some of my stuff.... But he got to it today, dropped the tank and he said there was all kinds of crud in the tank and the fuel filter was clogged (again! wasnt clogged last I checked). So tomarrow they are putting everything back together to see if that was the problem.

I'll post tomarrow on what happens.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Someone is dumping sand or sugar in your fuel tank ;)

man oh man crud in the tank, did you ever look?

everytime I drop a tank, I remove it from the vehicle 100%, I tape up the holes so dirt cant get dropped in, and I clean the top of the tank before I install the new pump.

While it is out, I look inside the tank and check for debris, crud, etc... so far they have all been surgically clean......in all of my trucks and all of the miles, never any crud...

let us know what comes of this!!

Ok everyone, I got good news!!!!

ITS FIXED!!!!!!!!!!

Turns out the crud in the tank was the problem, and the filter that goes on the fuel pump was clogged ( even though its brand new ).

Have drove atleast 100 miles today and no problems at all.

Thank you all so much for your help and time!!!!!!! I truley appreciate it.

I never really got to check to see if there was crud in the tank when I dropped it because I could never get the front part of the tank down so I never dropped it all the way.

Once again, THANKS you guys!

I have a 1997 Explorer with the 5.0. My fuel pump dies in it and I got a new cheapo pump only off ebay. Installed and it worked for maybe 5 miles of driving and it basically quit on me. So I went to Autozone and bought a Airtex fuel pump only not the whole assembly. It worked for the smae amount as time as the other pump, around 5 miles of driving. I replaced the TPS, FPR, cleaned the MAF and IAC, replaced fuel filter, changed plugs and plug wires and still same problem. Had the fuel pressure tested and it got 29PSI at idle, and when the button was pushed to bleed off gas into a container to test for volume, the vehicle nearly died and fuel pressure dropped to a 1-3PSI and stayed there. I assumed I got a faulty pump and got a new pump from Autozone off warranty. I installed new pump and same thing! Lasted 5 miles before problem comes back. If I give it more than 1/4 trhottle accelerating it does lots of popping in the Throttle Body and it bogs down until i come to a stop and sometime even stalling out. After it slows down and i am parked, it will barely idle and if i tough the gas at all it will bog down and stall. If i turn it off and cycle the key 4-6 times to pressurize the system, then it runs great for about 30 seconds and then same problem. I have a DTC codes P0171 and P0174 saying both bank 1 and 2 are lean. What could be causing this??
I have exactly the same problem..wat did u do

I have exactly the same problem..wat did u do
If you have a day or two, drop the tank and wash it out real good with the hottest water you can.

Get as much water as you can out.

Pour a few containers of 91% alcohol in the tank and slosh it all around.

Dump out what you can of the alcohol.

Reinstall the tank with new strainer, and external filter.

Or, you can buy a new tank. There used to be a few radiator/ac shops that would boil the tanks out locally, but I haven’t heard of anyone doing that in a long time.

Back