1997 Explorer AWD VSS help / info needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer AWD VSS help / info needed

97ukexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cambs, uk
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hi all,

I was hoping someone would clarify for me about the VSS.

Mine is an early 97 awd so the VSS is in the transfer box. The speedo and odo don't work, well, only very seldom and only ever after start. I got a new VSS from ford, which turned out to be the wrong part (looked like the rear abs so from later model) and the correct one is not available in UK. i took the old one out, realised it was very different from the replacement and then put it back in. speedo worked for 1.5 miles then stopped. Next day, speedo worked after start for 1.5 miles and then went off, then came back on for about .5 miles and is now dead again. car shifts fine, drives well and cruise works without issues.

so bad VSS or bad connection to speedo / duff instrument cluster.

There appears to be three wires coming from the VSS do two of them go into the PCM and one to the speedo or is the speedo driven by output from the PCM (or is #3 the -ve). Chilton manual isn't too clear on this

Car is new to me and has some other probs as listed below.
Speedo works sometimes
ABS kicks in just as vehicles stops, no light! works fine at other speeds but i suspect dirt / rust on the reluctor ring is hopefully the prob
Engine Management light is on
Aircon dead.
Heater stuck on hot
Rear doors don't open from inside. childlocks off so suspect rods disconnected

Other than that, or should i say in spite of that, i'm loving the truck. never thought i would own a ford unless it was a Mustang, never thought i would own a 4x4 but i really am enjoying this car

Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance for any help.

Back