• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer owner here!

Lizziehen

Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer 1997
Evening all, newbie here, I'm the proud owner of a 1997 Explorer, which I bought locally nearly six years ago. I absolutely love it, but of course my main problem now is finding spare parts. Current problem is the power steering oil cooler which is losing fluid, fast, it's a replacement which was fitted about three years ago. I was lucky to find it then from a scrapyard, but having no luck now! Any advice?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Evening all, newbie here, I'm the proud owner of a 1997 Explorer, which I bought locally nearly six years ago. I absolutely love it, but of course my main problem now is finding spare parts. Current problem is the power steering oil cooler which is losing fluid, fast, it's a replacement which was fitted about three years ago. I was lucky to find it then from a scrapyard, but having no luck now! Any advice?
Have you tried Rockauto.com. failing that try Find Cheap Car Parts Online | Lowest Prices Save 80% | 247Spares or Find a Part

Many thanks for your reply. I managed to find the power steering oil cooler on Rockauto, which is great, I'd asked three different sites in the USA with no luck. In the meantime my mechanic pal came over today and removed the oil cooler, replaced it with a length of pipe, which will do to go on with. He says it should be all right during the winter months at any rate. He's also suggested taking the offending part to the car radiator repairers in Ludlow to see if it's mendable. So that's my first port of call, and in the meantime my beloved Explorer is back on the road, hooray!

Many thanks for your reply. I managed to find the power steering oil cooler on Rockauto, which is great, I'd asked three different sites in the USA with no luck. In the meantime my mechanic pal came over today and removed the oil cooler, replaced it with a length of pipe, which will do to go on with. He says it should be all right during the winter months at any rate. He's also suggested taking the offending part to the car radiator repairers in Ludlow to see if it's mendable. So that's my first port of call, and in the meantime my beloved Explorer is back on the road, hooray!
Glad you got it sorted

Any transmission or oil cooler will work. You just need to find one about the same dimensions. I have a aftermarket plate and fin cooler on my 1994 that's mounted in front of the radiator. My Explorer didn't come with a power steering cooler from the factory.

Any transmission or oil cooler will work. You just need to find one about the same dimensions. I have a aftermarket plate and fin cooler on my 1994 that's mounted in front of the radiator. My Exorer didn't come with a power steering cooler from the factory.
That's interesting, when I was looking for it on Rockauto, it wasn't included on the list of steering parts. My OH had the bright idea of putting in the year 2000 rather than 1997, and there it was. Maybe mine didn't come with it originally either?Thanks for the tip, appreciated.

They all had the cooler factory, as a way to quiet down the constantly noisy pumps of the time. I’d just buy a universal cooler from a local auto store, and not pay Rock Autos shipping, or deal with their ridiculous shipping times as of late.

Back