1997 Explorer rear hatch handle broken (internally) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer rear hatch handle broken (internally)

allmyEXes

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
Well this auto-door lock feature has finally got the best of me. When I recently started driven the white '97 I noticed that the rear hatch handle was almost stripped or broke. If the door was locked (which I hate locked doors anyway) I would turn it to the right and the plastic handle would do a pop slip thing and I could turn it back to the left then go back around to the electric door release switch to unlock the doors and then I could turn it to the right and release it. But not now! The @#$*%&# %#!@#%# thing is all of the way stripped out! EDITED-Broke internally actually!
Do I have to climb in the back and rip stuff apart to release the hatch to work on it? Or can I cut and carve the handle apart from the outside to do this? Also why didn't FoMoCo make this vehicle where the back door be released from the inside?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Instructions start about post #11 of this thread

Thanks! I will probably be able to see the cantilever pivot through the trim opening if not through the handle hole.

I have removed the handle from the outside.
Link to Ebay ad with pictures
If you look at a side view picture the little post that connects to or pushes on something is broken all of the way off. Being plastic I was able to drill around where the studs were made into the handle assembly and remove it. I only slipped with the drill once.
This may not be the best way to do this but I was not going to sit inside the back of that truck in ~ 140 degrees F. It is F enough as it is. I'm gonna let the sun get behind the trees and go back out in my western facing parking area with a screwdriver and a flashlight. I should be able to trigger what the handle was triggering and yes all off the doors are unlocked!
Thanks @BKennedy

So far I was able to reach in the center hole and release the back glass. I know that it should be just as easy to release the hatch in order to remove the back panel and replace the ~ $19- handle assy. That would be a bad thing on the side of the road not being able to open the hatch and lower the spare!

Before dark I was able t release the hatch latches from the outside where I removed the plastic handle assembly. I found several videos and written procedures where it was done from the inside but none where anyone removed the handle assembly and release from the outside. :cool:

Here's a pic of the broken part and the drilled off handle assembly.
100_8739.JPG

I'm going to work out a procedure that involves a hole saw to saw around the mounting post instead of the rugged drill bit method. I'll use my old handle pieces for measurements.

I wasn't going to spend any time in the back of a 140 degree vehicle (I recently had a stroke and wasn't going to complicate that issue), and I knew that I had broke part of the handle and a rod just didn't come undone and replace a clip, also that I would need a complete new handle because the part that broke is not available by itself. Thanks for the video though.

After seeing the video it looks like while the interior trim panel is off I could make up and install some kind of "emergency pull or rip cord cable" to be able to open the back hatch in an emergency situation. Many auto trunks have this feature and most of them have glow in the dark handles on them.

The new handle arrived yesterday. Time for a work session on the newest '97.
handle1.JPG

The 7mm x 15mm post broke off of the back of my handle. I was unable to find that single piece. It comes as part of the replacement assembly.
handle2.JPG

Back