1997 Explorer Sport. I want to lift it. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer Sport. I want to lift it.

Weinzapfel

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer Sport
i have an explorer sport and i was wanting to put a lift on it. I can do most of it on my own, but also have a buddy that can help quite a bit. i was wanting to go cheap, so i was wondering if i should go with a suspension or body lift (wanting about 4 inches).
Can anyone give me the breakdown of what i should do or get? and any idea what the price range would be?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome weinzapfel

4x4 or 2wd?

It makes a difference because of the angle you'll put the front driveshafts at if you go too big.

You can do 2" or so easily with either shackles on the rear leaf springs or add-a-leaf into the rear leaf springs. Or both together. The front suspension is just a matter of turning the torsion bar preload screws. Both options are less than $100- might even be able to get both for less than $100. Both are easy DIY with typical hand tools.

Any bigger than that and you're looking at a body lift. I don't know much about those.

i am thinking about just putting some new shackles in the rear. or maybe a SOA?..
How much would a add a leaf cost? and how hard is it to install?
and how would i match the lift in the front other than a TT?

what size tires are you planning on running ?

cheap = body lift

shackles and or add a leafs and or 4 door leaf packs = cheapest way to lift the rear

TT up front = cheapest way to lift the front

unless you want to buy a suspension lift or SAS the front the SOA will yield to much lift in the rear to sit level,unless you don't mind the rear sitting higher than the front :D

search around the forum some.there is a ton of info on here and a lot of helpful members.

here is a pic of a 97 sport with a 3" body lift and TT up front and 4door leaf packs with 2 aal's and warrior shackles in the rear.

IMG_1450.jpg

Okay so I think I'm going to get some shackles and a leaf pack for the rear and a 3 inch body lift for the front.
For the body lift, is there anything else I need or anything, and how much do you think it would cost for all that?

Back