• Register Today It's free!

1997 Explorer Sport ?'s

wvsquirrel

Reaction score
City, State
Cocoa, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
Good morning everyone. I have a '97 4.0 SOHC 2-door Sport, and I've got a couple of questions for 'yall...

1) Is my stock alternator 130 amps? I've read some articles that say yes, and some that say no.

2) I'm getting ready to install a 120 amp isolator, and put a second battery (red top) in the back (custom enclosure). I want the isolator under the hood, but I can't seem to find a nice location that wont require ripping anything else out. Any suggestions?

Eventually I plan on upgrading the alternator to at least 200 amps, and will get a larger isolator then. But for now I'm stuck with what I've got.

For those who are interested, here's my system...

(1) Alpine CDA-7995 headunit
(2) 5.25" Infinity Kappa 50.5cs's
(2) 5x7" Infinity Kappa 572.5cf's
(2) Kenwood KAC-649S amps running the Infinity's
(2) Rockford Fosgate RFD2112 Punch HX2's
(1) Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd amp running the HX2's

I had the same question... I believe they are 95A stock.

Are you running all those amps off the stock electrical configuration? Because if so... :eek: :eek: :eek:

No some of the SOHC engines are 130 amp stock, just go to autozone and have them test it that will let you know if it tests above 100 then u got the 130

I verified it's the 130a. And no, I ran new wires for the amps (I hate factory wires, I replaced everything for the stereo with upgraded wiring). And let me tell you what, running wires through the cannon plug on the drivers side door is a major pain in the a$$!.

Eventually I'll mount the isolator and upgrade the 4awg to 2awg to a second battery. But for now I'm usung 4awg from the front battery to a distro-block for the amps.

Back